Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eminarp7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Hi there. I have a friend that has a G3 with OS 9.1 and no internet connection. He asked me to see if I could find drivers for his Umax and Nikon scanners and put them on a disc for him. I've searched as much as I can but could only find some for windows. If anyone could help at all it would be greatly appreciated by both me and him.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
I can't help with the Nikon, but I do have a Umax Astra 1220s plugged into the Mac OS 9.2 beige G3 PowerMac that I'm still using daily (unfortunately the scanner's bulb died a few months ago though :().

I've uploaded a Zip archive of the VistaScan 3.54 software to the MediaFire file hosting website. It's 14.5MB in size and you can download it by going to http://www.mediafire.com/?nlkyd2fxmw3 and clicking on the yellow "Click here to start download" box.

It has been a while since I've had to install it, so I'm not sure if this is all you need - it contains a standalone scanning application and a Photoshop-compatible plug-in (I've been using it with an old application called ColorIt!). Let me know if this doesn't work by itself and I'll try to find some way to upload the original CD-ROM that came with my scanner (I did make a Zip archive of that too, but it's 166MB and MediaFire's limit for free access is 100MB).

Eminarp7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Thanks for your help.

However I'm pretty sure it's a 1200 - not a 1220. Maybe it'll still work out so I'll try it because I don't know how much of a difference it would make.

I'll let you know what happens.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
The original CD-ROM is (as usual) has a load of extra unnecessary stuff on it: two versions of Acrobat Reader, non-English languages, etc. and is probably a standard one for all their scanners at the time.

The VistaScan archive I've uploaded on that website is only the later updated version of the English software, so I'm hoping that is all you'll need for any Umax scanner.

If not, I'll have to try and find somewhere that allows bigger uploads for the original CD-ROM, or try trimming out some of the unnecessary stuff to make the CD-ROM Zip archive under 100MB.

:)

Eminarp7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Awesome. :)

I should be able to let you know sometime next week whether or not it worked. Thanks so much for your help.

Eminarp7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2009
Well the cd with vistascan on it that I made for him doesn't seem to work (I think he probably needed the original cd because it gave an error that said it could not find the program that created it). However, he apparently got a real cd or something from another friend. I'm not sure. All I know is it's working now. :p

Thank you very much for trying, though.

Buzz Bumble

Oct 19, 2008
New Zealand
The VistaScan installer was inside a Zip archive. You would have either had to unzip it before puttin it on the CD or have an application to unzip it under MacOS 9 ... either way you would have ended up with a normal "Classic" Mac application.

Never mind. At least it works now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.