Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZoraKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
C8EF74E7-0BD3-4D7A-85A2-C68C697AE32D.jpeg 37B46929-6342-4B31-94EC-FF2074F94E47.jpeg erased my hard drive to factory reset my 2012 MacBook Pro and now I cannot re install high sierra. I reset it because I updated high Sierra and it said that it couldn’t be installed due to a missing or damaged os install (picture one). So after I reset it and tried to reinstall it says FileVault conversion in process. Please help. I’ve been looking on forums and YouTube and cannot figure how to fix this. I am trying to avoid going to the Apple store since there is not one close and I don’t know if they’d charge me for something I may be able to do myself.

ZoraKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
A spinning hard drive can take hours....depends on size, and how full. How long has it been running?

And health; if the drive is damaged...bad mojo.
Well I have been turning it on and off since I didn’t know until I saw the previous post later today but it’s been running for two hours. As far as health, I bought this second hand so it is most likely that it is the original hard drive. Would it go bad within 6 years? I feel like that’s not a very long life for a hard drive. I was thinking about upgrading to a ssd eventually anyway. Is there anyway to tell if it’s gone bad?

dryja123

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009
Well I have been turning it on and off since I didn’t know until I saw the previous post later today but it’s been running for two hours. As far as health, I bought this second hand so it is most likely that it is the original hard drive. Would it go bad within 6 years? I feel like that’s not a very long life for a hard drive. I was thinking about upgrading to a ssd eventually anyway. Is there anyway to tell if it’s gone bad?

Yes, 6 years is actually good a good life for a magnetic drive. Also, keep powering it off while it's doing its thing is only going to make things worse.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
On older Macs, it can take a couple days to finish, depending on the size of the drive and how much information there is. Make sure to leave it be. Don't turn it off. If you use the Mac while it is trying to encrypt, it will take longer and put more strain on the Mac.

ZoraKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2018
On older Macs, it can take a couple days to finish, depending on the size of the drive and how much information there is. Make sure to leave it be. Don't turn it off. If you use the Mac while it is trying to encrypt, it will take longer and put more strain on the Mac.
Well that won’t be a problem because I can’t use t haha. Will there be some sort of notification telling me it’s done or do I have to just keep trying to install until it lets me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.