Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpuritz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2016
I'm trying to backup my new MacBook Pro (2015) to my old MacBook Pro (2011) using OS X Server. I have a Seagate backup plus slim 2TB external hard drive hooked up to the old MBP, which is where I want to backup my new MBP to using Time Machine. If I select an internal folder to backup to on the old MBP through OS X Server, everything works fine and the backup is successful. But if I try to add the external HD to the list of backup destinations in the server, I can't. I click "Browse", select the hard drive, and then click create. But when I click create, nothing happens no matter how many times I click it. Though when I click create and the destination isn't external, then the destination is added. The external HD has been reformatted so I can write to it on a Mac. I'm really at a loss here why I can't add the external HD to the destination list and would appreciate any advice.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
What format did you use on the external disk? I think it has to be OS X Extended (Journaled) for Time Machine backups, not a FAT format compatible with both PC and Mac, which many external disks have as standard out-of-the-box when new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.