Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxTheTechno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
Back then, I asked the MacRumors users if i can hack a OS X Intel Tiger disc to work on an early 2009 iMac. So I would like to ask if there is a way to hack an OS X Tiger install to work on Legacy GPUs like kexts, etc. like, you know that patchers like the Catalina Patcher does graphics acceleration for Non-Metal GPUs because the GPUs are unsupported. Right? Then why not make a patcher for OS X Tiger for newer Macs. and add a GPU Patch and more compatibility.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: IF YOU SEE TWO OF THE SAME THREAD. PLEASE DELETE THE ONE IN THE MAC OS X TIGER CATEGORY. BECAUSE IT'S DEAD.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013

Can’t be done according to The Tiger Thread

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID

Can’t be done according to The Tiger Thread
This.

Even if you got it to boot, most of everything will not work making it pretty much unusable. Tiger has issues in 2008 Macs that it doesn’t support as you can see in the Tiger thread. If you want Tiger for something I suggest getting an older Mac or run it in Qemu.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If you want Tiger for something I suggest getting an older Mac or run it in Qemu.
Intel Tiger can be virtualised in e.g. VirtualBox and runs much faster than the PPC build runs in QEMU.

With that being said, my attempts to boot Tiger on a 2009 Mac Mini failed. It didn’t get very far at all. Maybe I should add that info to “The Tiger Thread”.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Intel Tiger can be virtualised in e.g. VirtualBox and runs much faster than the PPC build runs in QEMU.
Oh, I’ve never even thought about running Tiger in vBox. I’ve ran SL, and a couple other newer ones.

The Qemu setup of Tiger I do have runs pretty quick though. It definitely feels faster than Tiger on an actual G3 save for graphics performance.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.