Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuxster.mk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I have a Synology NAS which is starting to fail, looses connections and will not let me log into it at times. The NAS is only 3 years old.
Anyway, moving on we are a family of MacBook users and was thinking of replacing the NAS with something completely different.
Can someone let me know if this would work, 2018 Mac mini with a drobo 5D3 connected by thunderbolt 3 cable. If I setup the MM w/OSX Server and run shares could it be just as good as a Synology NAS ?

Does this sound feasible or should I just invest in a new Qnap NAS ?

Thx

Reactions: jpn

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
Hi Tuxster:

I hate myself for writing this as I have vowed to never respond if I can not provide a direct answer to an OP's question. But if you are considering a Mac Mini, why bother with a Drobo anything? I just installed a MacMini 2018 that I use in conjunction with an OWC ThunderBay 4 enclosure. I have four 4TB drives in the drive enclosure that I operate in RAID 5 configuration using SoftRAID.

I have set up several shares on the Mac Mini. Works terrific. While I also have OSX Server, it really is not necessary. The shares can be defined without OSX Server.

Let me know if this helps.

Don Barar

Reactions: jpn

tuxster.mk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
Hi Tuxster:

I hate myself for writing this as I have vowed to never respond if I can not provide a direct answer to an OP's question. But if you are considering a Mac Mini, why bother with a Drobo anything? I just installed a MacMini 2018 that I use in conjunction with an OWC ThunderBay 4 enclosure. I have four 4TB drives in the drive enclosure that I operate in RAID 5 configuration using SoftRAID.

I have set up several shares on the Mac Mini. Works terrific. While I also have OSX Server, it really is not necessary. The shares can be defined without OSX Server.

Let me know if this helps.

Don Barar
[doublepost=1547085744][/doublepost]Interesting, what I need from the server is to backup several MacBook pros, deliver iTunes to devices and movies via Plex.
Just thought that the server option might be a better choice for this. Did a search and found that apple has appeared to ditch the OS X server so I am concerned with this setup.

I don’t know but lately I feel as though I should stop investing in apple products as they don’t seem to care about their users. Maybe just me.

I will look into the owc enclosure, thx for the quick reply.

MJ

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
Hi MJ:

There are several ways to go about backing up your MacBook with my configuration:
  • I have hung portable drive off the MacMini to do perform Time Machine Back-ups. I could have also set-up a section of the RAID 5 array on the disk enclosure to accept the Time Machine back-ups as well. But chose not to do it this way.
  • My 2016 MBP has a 1 TB drive. However, my storage requirements are much greater. So periodically I move file off my MBP to the RAID 5 array. I then back-up the RAID 5 array to bare drive that I have connected to the Mini using Chronosync. There is other software out there to do this, but I think Chronosync does a fine job.
Can not help you with iTunes or Plex Server as I have not investigated how to do this. My main share are my music files that I use in conjunction with a BlueSound Node 2.

I read much on this forum from certain users about Apple no longer caring about there customers. Lots of energy about the butterfly keyboard. However, I am typing this on a 2 year plus 2016 MBP15 and have yet to have experienced a keyboard failure. At least if it fails, I know I can get a replacement. Had a keyboard failure on a 1 year old Sony VAIO and could not find even a aftermarket product. Same thing with replacement batteries. My 2 cents. Now if I just could get my wife to change!

Don Barar

Last edited:

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Just chiming in to say this should work fine with your hardware of choice. I would specifically advise against macOS Server. It isn't necessary for any of the features you've listed; all of that is baked into the base macOS / iTunes / Plex. macOS Server is a headache you don't want. ;)

I can't speak to performance or ease-of-use vs. NAS; I have no direct experience with NAS hardware.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
Hi MJ:

Here is a URL for you on Plex server for MacOS: https://www.plex.tv/media-server-downloads/ . BTW. Here is photograph of my set-up.

Don
MacMini.jpg

tuxster.mk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
I have a Synology NAS which is starting to fail, looses connections and will not let me log into it at times. The NAS is only 3 years old.
Anyway, moving on we are a family of MacBook users and was thinking of replacing the NAS with something completely different.
Can someone let me know if this would work, 2018 Mac mini with a drobo 5D3 connected by thunderbolt 3 cable. If I setup the MM w/OSX Server and run shares could it be just as good as a Synology NAS ?

Does this sound feasible or should I just invest in a new Qnap NAS ?

Thx
I ended up Purchasing another Synology NAS, transfer my existing raid and adding two 1TB SSD for cache, a 14TB as backup drive and have 4 ethernet connected to switch in link aggregation. Added an extra 8 GB ram and I know have 120Mb/s file transfers using SMB from multiple machines.
I can transfer multiple files in seconds now. Restoration from backups are now in few minutes whereas before would drag on for what seems forever.

So far very happy.

Reactions: hobowankenobi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.