Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I'm having a frustrating time organizing my Photos library. I have two Macs. An iMac for work (photo editing) and a MacBook for play.

I want the ability to browse my iCloud Photo Library on my iMac without it downloading every single photo in my library. There is the "Optimize Mac Storage" option but it still downloads the originals "if you have enough storage space".

My iMac only has a 512GB SSD so I don't want a 30-40 GB library taking up a good chunk of that, but I'd still like the ability to browse my photos library.

P.S. I think I hate the Photos app.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Why not switch to Flickr or Google's picasa?

It sounds like you're looking for online storage, not local storage that syncs.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Why not switch to Flickr or Google's picasa?

It sounds like you're looking for online storage, not local storage that syncs.
Yeah, I suppose I could do this. Was hoping for an Apple solution though, since I'm pretty invested in the ecosystem.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Georgia, USA
As a new iMac user, I must reiterate that Photos and the library is horrible. I have countless albums and Photo seems to have 'messed' it all up.

I liked how in Windows I'd simply have a Photo folder with countless albums and view the photos as I'd like. On an iMac, iPad and iPhone it is just awful. Maybe Google Photos is an option for me. Albeit one loses out on the auto sync to all devices option. But...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.