Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedamages

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2019
I had the 256gb model XS Max but looked at my storage for the last month before ordered and was at about 32 used. So I opted for the 64gb to pinch some pennies. I was already on iOS 13/13.1 so I figured I was safe. Every since the 11 Pro however I have been getting iPhone storage full notifications. Looking at my storage breakdown I’m at 22gb in the “other” section (very bottom of storage list). Did some reading and flushed it down to ~5gb BUT every night it grows back to 22ish GB while I sleep. I’m on beta 4 of 13.1 but a friend is on 13 and sees his other is at 37! Anybody with similar numbers? I read that anything over 10gb there is crazy.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I’ve seen, in excess of, 30GB in the other section in the past. At the moment I’m just under 12GB.
Normally though it settles down after a few days for me with a new device. Possibly all of the crunching it does setting up, god knows.

I generally ignore it, let it do its thing and check it only once again, a week or two after initial setup, only deleting, say a infrequently used app to temporarily free a little space during that time. Afterward, If it’s excessive, I do a bit of flushing, but from there on out it seems to manage itself just fine.

FWIW, I did the same as you a couple of years ago when I got my X, went down to 64GB and it never caused a problem for that duration.
Only this year did I decide to go back up to 256GB because I was getting close to 50GB on my X and because I’m going to try and keep this phone for more than 2 years - try being the operative word :D

smith17.jeff

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
My "other" section is at 39 GB... I cant figure out how to significantly get this down. I keep deleting old photos/apps, or clearing Safari history and then other will eat up that free space. I may consider backing up my phone and doing a factory reset. Let me know if you figure this out please!

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
It tells you what it is, sorta.. 30gb seems excessive.. at that point I would back up my photos and start fresh. I came from a 32gb 7 lol.

759B1A77-35B9-4E62-A9F3-0D374B02AC84.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.