Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyalben

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hey,

I recently bought iPhone 13 Pro (upgraded from XS).

Everytime I’m on FaceTime, the other side is complaining my audio is choppy and breaks up.

It’s not a connection related issue (I’ve tried different Wi-Fi’s and 5G)

And I don’t experience this problem when recording videos.

I also didn’t had it on my iPhone XS.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Reactions: Someonecalledjonas

Someonecalledjonas

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2021
Hey,

I recently bought iPhone 13 Pro (upgraded from XS).

Everytime I’m on FaceTime, the other side is complaining my audio is choppy and breaks up.

It’s not a connection related issue (I’ve tried different Wi-Fi’s and 5G)

And I don’t experience this problem when recording videos.

I also didn’t had it on my iPhone XS.

Has anyone experienced this issue?
Same issue, specially when I’m on what looks to be a good 5G connection. If I force my iPhone 13 pro down to LTE/4G then everything is fine

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It will be the connection between your service provider and the service provider of the person your connecting too.

Reactions: max2

Someonecalledjonas

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2021
It will be the connection between your service provider and the service provider of the person your connecting too.
Except, there’s no packet loss when I’ve tried to diagnose the issue. Only FaceTime is the issue..

I’ve even tried to tunnel the traffic over a fault tolerant vpn to see if that helps… and no, as soon as the phone is on 5G mode the reviving g party gets choppy sound..

laptech

macrumors 601
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Except, there’s no packet loss when I’ve tried to diagnose the issue. Only FaceTime is the issue..

I’ve even tried to tunnel the traffic over a fault tolerant vpn to see if that helps… and no, as soon as the phone is on 5G mode the reviving g party gets choppy sound..
Maybe it's facetime servers then. The only way you are going to know for sure is if you use another app that does video calls such as zoom or whatsapp. If the same occurs then you've limited it down to the your iphone or network provider but if it works ok then yes you can say it's facetime thats the issue.

Someonecalledjonas

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2021
Maybe it's facetime servers then. The only way you are going to know for sure is if you use another app that does video calls such as zoom or whatsapp. If the same occurs then you've limited it down to the your iphone or network provider but if it works ok then yes you can say it's facetime thats the issue.
Oh — I thought it was implied it was ONLY FaceTime…

eyalben

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
I've been testing it for the past week - it happens on both FaceTime and Whatsapp video chat.

I have ruled the connection possibility:
- I have tested in on 5G (about 800Mbps) - still choppy
- My home connection is symmetrical fiber optic with 500Mbps which I get full speed on my phone
- Facetime works great on iPad Air 4, comparing side by side

I also ruled out speaker or camera issues since I have recorded video which doesn't seem to have this issue as well.

Can it be a hardware-related issue? Something with the encoding process?

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
If it is only happening in FaceTime try checking the following:

While in FaceTime Call (you have to be in an active FaceTime Video or FaceTime Audio call) , open Control Center and there should be a Mic Mode indicator. Try changing it from Voice Isolation to Standard if it’s not already in Standard mode. iOS 15 introduced the ability to try to isolate your voice from background noise but I have noticed that if your voice is not loud enough or near enough to Microphones on phone (seems to work best with AirPods) then your voice gets clipped because the phone thinks your speaking voice is part of background noise.

Attachments

• 3A2F8AE7-3711-4C92-9F0A-8E07CE59F6F1.jpeg
    3A2F8AE7-3711-4C92-9F0A-8E07CE59F6F1.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,975
  • 87423598-E779-4AFF-B157-86EA7138E647.jpeg
    87423598-E779-4AFF-B157-86EA7138E647.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,546
Reactions: T-Will

monikaag

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2022
India
Hey! Was your problem resolved? I'm facing the same issue and the apple care is not able to resolve the problem.

monikaag

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2022
India
If it is only happening in FaceTime try checking the following:

While in FaceTime Call (you have to be in an active FaceTime Video or FaceTime Audio call) , open Control Center and there should be a Mic Mode indicator. Try changing it from Voice Isolation to Standard if it’s not already in Standard mode. iOS 15 introduced the ability to try to isolate your voice from background noise but I have noticed that if your voice is not loud enough or near enough to Microphones on phone (seems to work best with AirPods) then your voice gets clipped because the phone thinks your speaking voice is part of background noise.
I tried it.. doesn't help

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
This is due to apple getting rid of the enable/disable phone noise cancellation mode…anytime you’re on speaker mode, not just face time, your voice will be muddled to the person you’re speaking to. This mode is still available on older devices but for some reason, not on the 13 series phones

monikaag

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2022
India
This is due to apple getting rid of the enable/disable phone noise cancellation mode…anytime you’re on speaker mode, not just face time, your voice will be muddled to the person you’re speaking to. This mode is still available on older devices but for some reason, not on the 13 series phones
I thought the same but is there any solution to this problem?

lindijones

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
Hi All,

i have the EXACT SAME ISSUE.
Facetime audio over 5G is broken since launch of the iPhone 13 Pro and NOT fixed with every single iOS update.
I was with my network provider (german Telekom) and also with Apple Support (chat and hotline) in contact. => No fix yet.

I also tried with a brandnew iPhone 13 Pro Max. => Same issue.
I also tried that with a 5G provider in Thailand. => Same issue.
I also found many twitter users with the exact same issue. It's not an audio issue like echo cancellation with speaker phone or the new noise cancelling feature. It's clearly a connection issue as dropouts with several seconds occur in every call. Complete words get lost and the feature is completely useless.
It's so annoying.

With 4G/LTE it works perfectly fine. Only via 5G it is broken and useless.

What can we do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.