Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watercool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
England
Hiya,

(2009 MacBook Pro running El Capitan,
8G with an added SSD drive as my startup drive - HDD in optical slot
and a WD external HD connected via USB)

I'm creating an animation in AE 2015, all was fine to begin with but as I do more compositions I'm using up more and more memory....even though I'm saving my projects to my external HD. I understand there's a cache, is that what's sapping all my memory? Is there anything I can do to enable me to finish my animation? Its taking ages to render each little preview/movement!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Saving your projects to an external drive may be causing the issues. The I/O would be completely saturated over USB, especially with it being USB 2.

Of course it's always worth checking Activity Monitor while you're rendering your project. It's likely that the CPU will be bricked and possibly the RAM usage as well. That should assist in isolating where the problem lies.

You can also try restarting with reopen windows when logging back in disabled. This will prevent any potential memory leaks/resource intensive tasks from compounding. Then try to save a project to an internal drive, rather than a USB one. Is that any better?

watercool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
England
Thanks for your reply :)

It's not improved things, and where it eventually rendered the preview (green bar - top of timeline) I moved the time indicator and it lost what it'd rendered and replaced that bit with blue strips (where the green was)

I've looked at the AM but I can't work out what's going on. Not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to digging deeper into the runnings of it hehe

watercool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
England
I figured out a 'fix'....(for future readers) Select your view as 'proxy' instead of 'Optimal'. And convert back to optimal before exporting/sharing.

Reactions: needfx
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.