Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
USA
What is Apple’s policy on replacing batteries out of warranty before they show an alert in the menu bar? I was told by AppleCare over the phone (twice) that if I’m paying out of pocket they will replace a degraded battery even if it’s not down to 80% yet and showing the warning. Mine is at 84% but the battery life is 1/2 of when it was new.

Based on this, I went to the Apple store to pay out of pocket for replacement but the Genius Bar refused. They said that they won’t replace a battery until MacOS gives them an alert. I know this is the case for warranty replacement, but this isn't under warranty. I seem to remember them doing this before on a different laptop of mine a few years ago, but this time they wouldn't. Did the policy recently change?

Last edited:

nigelbb

macrumors 65816
Dec 22, 2012
If you want to pay full price for the battery they will take your money even if battery is at 100%. However if you want a discounted £/$199 battery they will only do that when it shows a warning & less than 80%.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm in Toronto, Canada and the three nearest Apple stores refused a battery replacement in my watch, MacBook Pro, and iPhone if the battery health was higher than 80% unless their diagnostic tools indicate a replacement was needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.