Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CCMulligan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Several years ago I purchased a Canon Slide Scanner. The model is CanoScan FS2720U. The software works only with Mac's Operating System IX which I still have available on our eMac. Canon does not have any updated software that works with newer operating systems for this slide scanner. I can still scan my slides. My question is how can I get the scans into our new Mac laptop? I have thought of emailing them to myself. I have also thought of burning them onto a CD. Would either of these methods work? Advantages or disadvantages? Is there another way of transferring them into an updated system? I'd like to convert at least 200 of my better slides into digital. It's a good scanner that I bought before I really knew what to look for.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
The scanner will give you .tiff files from your slides and they will work on any computer regardless of OS. Well maybe not an old DOS system. What you need to set up is a scanning station with the eMac and scanner and burn your slide files to CD and copy them onto your newer machine. This is how the scanning station at my design school had it set up. Worked fine. You can also get a USB hard drive and connect it to the eMac then copy the files to the other machine using that route.

Dale

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Another option is to buy Vuescan (hamrick software) for your new mac with OSX. It support a wide range of scanners (old and new). The basic version is $40. You can give it a try with a free trial. I used it on an old Canon slide scanner (FS 4000 ).

CCMulligan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Thank you Designer Dale,

I'll go the CD route since I can do photo adjustments on the scanner program before I burn. The use of "IX" instead of "9" shows my level of computer expertise which is why I have this problem.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
You could network the computers to each other. You may then be able to use drag & drop to transfer the files, or FTP. On OS X you would turn on 'File Sharing' in the Sharing system preference. Sorry, I can't remember what you need to do on the OS 9 side. I'm sure the information is out there on web.

If you directly connect the computers, you might need a cross over ethernet cable. I think newer Macs all have smart ethernet ports and a special cross over cable is not needed.

If this is a USB or Firewire scanner, you might try using 'Image Capture' in your Applications folder to see if it can scan from the scanner using OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.