Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Please don't say 4 zillion megapixels and a pizza maker. We all know that won't happen.

For me:
EF mount
5-10 fps
Either FF sensor or 1.3x crop CMOS*
*1.3 would require release of a Canon UWA 1.3 crop L grade zoom, such as a 12-26
1/500s flash sync speed
Built in wireless strobe transmitter with 100' or so of range
4-8 MP
Built in vertical release/battery grip
Fast USM motor
Self cleaning sensor
Small LCD; LCD's aren't necessary for more than setting a few functions and viewing histograms

COnsidering that this is basically the original 1D with the possibility of a more pixel dense FF CMOS and a better commander mode, I'd say it should be priced under $2,000.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I have to say I really like Thom Hogan's idea of a Nikon F-mount body with interchangeable back ends for resolution/sensor size/speed. I'd really like at least 1/500th of a second flash synch, and I'd like Fuji to offer their sensors as backs for the system as well (hey, if we're going to dream...) Ideally, the shutter/sensor would all interchange- it't make the pieces a bit more expensive, but would mean you could upgrade the back end of the system instead of the whole camera at obsolesce/feature points. Dual CF slots would also be nice, or one each of CF/SD with a USB 2.0 storage option. I also want a pony...................

.......keg. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Why CMOS?

Anyway, what I want isn't all too far fetched because the technology exists, although it is far fetched anyway. :eek: I want Fuji to buy Foveon and offer me a three layer SuperCCD full frame sensor that won't require Bayer interpolation. It's basically a merge between the Foveon sensor used in the Sigma SD14 and Fuji's SuperCCD, which I think is the best sensor. I want that in a high end Nikon body because I think they make the best camera bodies, and hell, why not make that SuperCCD Foveon sensor a true 10 MP, since it's full frame. Oh, and you'll need 3 processors in the camera to handle each 90 MB RAW file. ;)

I won't be unrealistic. All I want is 3 fps from such a sensor and body. :p

Well, I'd also take a full frame Nikon with a SuperCCD sensor from Fuji. I think that'd be killer.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
I'd take the current D2Xs body, I like it... plus:

10FPS at full resolution
A true 12MP Fuji style sensor set up

Thats all I got :p . I don't own a D2Xs, but I like them and for me they're fine how they are, just would like the few things I mentioned... although probably would change with time :)

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Canon EF mount, full-frame sensor, IS technology in-body that shuts off automatically in favor of IS lenses, solid weather-sealed body... $1000

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Why CMOS?

Anyway, what I want isn't all too far fetched because the technology exists, although it is far fetched anyway. :eek: I want Fuji to buy Foveon and offer me a three layer SuperCCD full frame sensor that won't require Bayer interpolation. It's basically a merge between the Foveon sensor used in the Sigma SD14 and Fuji's SuperCCD, which I think is the best sensor. I want that in a high end Nikon body because I think they make the best camera bodies, and hell, why not make that SuperCCD Foveon sensor a true 10 MP, since it's full frame. Oh, and you'll need 3 processors in the camera to handle each 90 MB RAW file. ;)

I won't be unrealistic. All I want is 3 fps from such a sensor and body. :p

Well, I'd also take a full frame Nikon with a SuperCCD sensor from Fuji. I think that'd be killer.

I think that setup would be awesome, especially if you could stick L glass on it. :D

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i'd like to have a "consumer type dslr"

specs:

body size/ grip of sony alpha 100
3 inch display
canon quality sensor with 12 MP (low noise)
dynamic range and color quality of sony alpha
1.5 crop factor (keeps lenses cheap and body small)
weather seals
programs and settings like sony alpha
infrared remote
standard parts like usb cable, charger and batteries, no proprietary stuff
nikon mount (because of better lens selection over sony/minolta)
in body image stabilization with support for in lens stabilization
built in flash like sony/minolta
focus assist light
in body autofocus motor with support for in lens motor
good support of sigma/tamron lenses
fast focus and good metering
real time image sensor (like olympus or sony R1) with video capability

realistically the current cameras are better than my skills anyway. i'd like to have a number software and hardware feature that expand the use of the camera (like video). but also realistically I should simply not spend the money on a better camera but rather pay for a good class in photography:eek:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
D200 with full frame 10x3x2 mpix Foveon SuperCCD SR sensor, pellicle mirror, live preview and F3HP-like eyepoint

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
dSLR:
Canon 5D in an EOS 3 style - improved weather protection/viewfinder + dust protection

not a DSLR, possible to build but never gonna happen:
Leica M-Mount rangefinder, either a .58 or .72 viewfinder
24x36mm sensor
monochrome RAW files (less extraneous color information = more detail, wider latitude), work out the sensor/processor so it produces images that bear a striking resemblance to Tri-X in D-76.
under $3k

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
For me it would be a slightly updated EOS 5D with a more dust resistant viewfinder and sensor, weather sealing, and an increase to 5fps.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Oh yeah, as Milo said, in body IS that shuts off when real IS glass is mounted would be great. I think it makes sense, but could make people think twice about purchasing IS lenses, which Canon makes loads of money from.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Oh yeah, as Milo said, in body IS that shuts off when real IS glass is mounted would be great. I think it makes sense, but could make people think twice about purchasing IS lenses, which Canon makes loads of money from.

And for that reason, it seems unlikely any time soon.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
The trouble is that cameras are designed to a price point. So you have to ask what is the best under $600 DSLR body or the best one for under $35,000. With no price constraint everyone would simply buy that new Hasselblad H3D-39

It has feature like "flash syncs at all shutter speeds" and the ability to swap out the back for film or years later for an better CCD sensor. Features that Canon and Nikon are missing but at a price Canon and Nikon are missing too.

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h3d

So ask this again: "what would you want in a sub $1K DSLR body?
and "What you want want for $1K more?"

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My need is more conservative (Canon EOS) as I currently have EOS 400D.
  • Full-frame EF mount
  • 8-10 MP image sensor with better cleaner than EOS 400D and in-body image stabilizer (assuming IS lenses will continue to be made)
  • 4 frames per second continuous shooting
  • 1.0x 100% viewfinder with full shooting info (including ISO)
  • Low noise through ISO 3200
  • 230K 2.5" LCD with live preview, dedicated info display panel
  • Separate aperture and shutter speed dials
  • 35-area metering including spot
  • EOS 30D size and weight
  • 1000 shots battery capacity
  • US $1499 MSRP

Come to think of it, EOS 5D for $1499 would be perfect. :)

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
.................................. With no price constraint everyone would simply buy that new Hasselblad H3D-39

seems almost no one is choosing a 30.000 dollar camera. most people choose current mid range models and suggest some nice, realistic and affordable improvements. so there is no need for the price constraint.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
My need is more conservative (Canon EOS) as I currently have EOS 400D.
  • Full-frame EF mount
  • 8-10 MP image sensor with better cleaner than EOS 400D and in-body image stabilizer (assuming IS lenses will continue to be made)
  • 4 frames per second continuous shooting
  • 1.0x 100% viewfinder with full shooting info (including ISO)
  • Low noise through ISO 3200
  • 230K 2.5" LCD with live preview, dedicated info display panel
  • Separate aperture and shutter speed dials
  • 35-area metering including spot
  • EOS 30D size and weight
  • 1000 shots battery capacity
  • US $1499 MSRP

Come to think of it, EOS 5D for $1499 would be perfect. :)

Sounds good to me. I'd make the FPS adjustable and drop the live preview. If you have a dedicated display panel, then why not bump up the back LCD to 3".

GKThursday

macrumors regular
May 25, 2005
"The Pentax MXD"

I want a true professional dSLR.
Body based on the Pentax MX body
95 to 100% viewfinder with split prism and microprism view screen
Full frame (maybe 8-10 MP) K mount (with both AF and mechanical aperture control, i.e no need for stopdown metering)
Aperture set on lens, Shutter speed set by dial, ISO set but dial where the film rewind lever was.
Mirror lockup
Only shoots RAW and one quality of Jpeg (highest) (dedicated button to switch between)
NO scene modes, full auto ect, no consumer "digital filters"
WB button right on the camera

And as an option, a single channel sensor, i.e shooting with b&w film, for extra low noise images.

Not sure if anyone would make this, but I think most Pentax users would buy it.

~G

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
Some people have too much idle time on their hands ;)

Purpose of this thread?

never mind.

Well since I hate all current dSLR's because the are way too expensive and still there's not a one even close to the size of the original small 35mm revolutionary Olympus OM-1 & OM-2. All dSLR's are to friggin heavy, IMHO (ok, maybe I just need to hit the gym and build up my arms and endurance strenght?) for extensive all day use, over even more than lugging around for an hour or so, make them lighter, damn it...about the weight of the original OM-1 or a Leica rangefinder 35mm camera!

Maybe you should just make a list of 'must' have on this dream machine, but then it would cost too much, unless you're Paris in your sensibilities ;).

In that case, must have 'live view' LCD as on the new Olympus E-510, with only microsecond delay unlike current 1st gen that are a bit slower in this regard, a set of compact Olympus lenses, and the best on the market right now capabilities of the as yet not shipped? Canon EOS-1D Mark III

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-8738-8908

, but I want the body to be smaller than the new Olympus E-410, but have the articulating LCD screen of the soon to be annouced prolevel Olympus dSLR, and what the heck I want 100% in the viewfinder, not crappy 95%, and it needs to be wicked bright too. Yeah, and since I'm Paris in my sensibilities, all of these lenses that are much more compact and lightweight but still built Leica smooth/Swiss watch precision/tough, than the big name brands; will be free of all optical distortion have fixed F2.8 or faster glass lens, the image sensor will have no noise @6400 ISO.

It will also, unlike every dSLR on the market currently, do image stabliized autofocusing full 2k res. video too, at least 30min. of H264 compressed!

Not too much to ask, is it :)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.