Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haleycooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2018
Hi there! So I'm 21 years old and my very controlling parents track my phone religiously, so I have virtually no freedom. For example, I was just asked why I was out until 2am last night by my father and I live halfway across the country from them. Unfortunately, I am still financially dependent on my parents as I am still in school, so I don't have much room to not listen to them, and they require me to be on their family sharing and have my location shared with them at all times. Does anyone know a way that I can set my phone to show at a certain location? Thanks!

Reactions: PKtheZIP

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
Leave the phone home before going out. It’s not physically attached to you is it? I know it would be weird, but believe it or not, people used to get around without phones.

Either that or buy a cheap phone on your own.

If you are dependent on other people, you are unfortunately forced to play by their rules.

If there was spoofing software widely available, there would be a huge demand by criminals.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
If you have another Apple device you can change which device your location is shared from (i.e. share your location from the iPad that you leave at home while you go out and do whatever with your iPhone). The better option would be to have a sit down with your parents and discuss your issues with their constant supervision.

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
Hi there! So I'm 21 years old and my very controlling parents track my phone religiously, so I have virtually no freedom. For example, I was just asked why I was out until 2am last night by my father and I live halfway across the country from them. Unfortunately, I am still financially dependent on my parents as I am still in school, so I don't have much room to not listen to them, and they require me to be on their family sharing and have my location shared with them at all times. Does anyone know a way that I can set my phone to show at a certain location? Thanks!
What model of iPhone and what version of iOS? There are jailbreak tweaks to do just what you need.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
One answer is above - select a different device from which to share location.

Second answer, as I also found out, if you turn off location services, the find my friends app will report your last-known location for a while. So turn off location services before you go out, turn it back on when you get back.

The best answer is to have an adult conversation with your parents about boundaries, trust, and respect. That said, I don't know your history, but to prevail in such a conversation you better have the right history to have earned said trust and respect.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Get a part time job and purchase your own phone and plan would be my choice. While the parents may be a bit overbearing as you say because you are 21, as long as they pay your bill you have to be willing to compromise some. At 21 you should be able to pay your own cell bill. Not the answer you seek, but another choice still.

shamashu

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2014
so what is the answer on the big question "where and why on earth is he still outside at 2am?"
enough reason to be controlled

Reactions: Christoffee

Landslide

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2018
What model of iPhone and what version of iOS? There are jailbreak tweaks to do just what you need.
I have the same problem but I don’t live with my dad and I don’t depend on him
[doublepost=1543886875][/doublepost]
I’m thinking of getting a prepaid phone cause all I need is my music

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
I glad I had pretty relax parents who trusted me. I once remember partying all night and walking in at 4:30 am just as my father was walking out the door to his job. All he said to me was "You work today?". I said "yes" while still feeling pretty buzz. All he said was "Have a nice day at work" and the way he said it was you better go to work or else. I had a good paying job and could had afford to be on my own. However, I still lived at home for rent was cheap and I could save money. Though I still laugh at that confrontation. My advice live by all of their rules if you can't afford to live on your own or try to work out some kind of agreement if you can afford to live on your own. I still lived by a a lot their rules while living with my parents with the exception of having no curfew and a few minor other things, but my parents saw that I could be responsible financially and that I would help around the house with the chores.

Reactions: MacintoshDan

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
I'm also curious to know why you were out until 2am.
What 21 year old isn’t out until 2am? Squares?

In many countries it’s customary to start eating dinner at 8-10pm and go out for drinks and be with friends ‘starting’ after midnight-1am.

Last edited:

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
Strap the phone to your neighbors dog?

Pay someone to carry your phone around all day when you dont want to be tracked?

BeforeTheMeds

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Edomx, MX
What 21 year old isn’t out until 2am? Squares?

In many countries it’s customary to start eating dinner at 8-10pm and go out for drinks and be with friends ‘starting’ after midnight-1am.

Squares? You a really old beatnick?

Seriously, ones that work? Go to school? Still to lazy to get off mommy and daddy’s dime expect to be told what to do....at any age.

Either way I have been to a lot of countries (about 16 and I’m not from a tiny country durrounded bu a lot of other countries) and didn’t see any where everyone is working the next morning still drunk.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018

As long as I was paying for my kids school, room and board better know why you were out at 2am and not studying. Sorry, you maybe 21 but if your parents are paying for your stuff still you have no leg to stand on.

Reactions: willmtaylor

mmomega

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
This. As someone that was out of the house at 17 and asking for nothing I have little sympathy.
Same, out at 14 and bought my first cell phone from a pawn shop and pre-paid 30 minute phone cards until I could get my own cell phone plan.

So to the OP, organize your priorities.
Privacy or cell phone, which is higher on the list of importance? Your choice to make.
And until you can pave your own way completely you fall somewhat under someone else's limitations.
One day you may see it as something to be grateful for, that you have parents that even care where you are. It isn't something that means much until later in life or to those that have never experienced that.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
If you have another Apple device you can change which device your location is shared from (i.e. share your location from the iPad that you leave at home while you go out and do whatever with your iPhone). The better option would be to have a sit down with your parents and discuss your issues with their constant supervision.

Actually if they use Find My iPhone rather than Find My Friends, this won't work. All devices can be seen there.

josephd

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
I was own my own at 18, which meant I was also responsible for my own bills. Not to sound condescending. But if your parents are “controlling” maybe it’s time to start paying your own phone bill.
I am a stickler for communication, so I would suggest sitting down with your parents and having this conversation with them. Good luck

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.