Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sebasboy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2019
hello good day. i have a 2017 15 inch macbook pro here with a radeon pro 555.

in windows i can overclock the core to 1000 mhz and the Vram to 1655mhz (can probably go higher but driver limit in windows)

i would like to run those clocks in mac-os too if possible.

i've heard that core overclocking might not be possible in mac os. but VRAM does with something like powerplay tables?

i'm not too sure as i've not found much info yet.

thank you in advance for your advice!

Sebasboy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2019

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Assuming powerplay tables are supported, you might be able to using opencore provided macOS doesn't enforce a power limit (it probably does). It'll probably also thermal throttle in a laptop chassis.

I've gone the other way and downclocked/undervolted my rx580. You'll need windows to dump the vbios and inject the modified tables on the fly.

Sebasboy

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2019
Assuming powerplay tables are supported, you might be able to using opencore provided macOS doesn't enforce a power limit (it probably does). It'll probably also thermal throttle in a laptop chassis.

I've gone the other way and downclocked/undervolted my rx580. You'll need windows to dump the vbios and inject the modified tables on the fly.
In terms of thermals they're great on this 2017 15 inch. Just needed to drill a few tiny holes under the fan and it dropped gpu Temps from 86 to 66.

This is already overclocked and at comfortable 60s.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    403.4 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.