Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brekane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2020
Hi everyone!

As you probably already know, it's not easy to find a well organized and well designed weather app, that's why me and a friend of mine decided to try to fill this gap and make Overdrop, because we wanted a product that's easy to use and has a modern design.

Overdrop combines 3 different weather apps in one place, since you can choose Dark Sky, Accuweather and WeatherBit as your default weather provider.
Also, we wanted to make it yours, by making 6 different animated themes so you can choose the style you like the most.

preview.png

Download link: Overdrop Weather

The main features we offers are:

• Detailed real-time weather data
• Dark Sky weather provider
• AccuWeather weather provider
• WeatherBit weather provider
• 24-hour and 7-day forecas
• Hourly temperature and rain graph
• Severe condition alerts
• 6 animated themes
• 13 custom app icons
• Minimal dark and light widget
• Dew point, visibility, cloud cover
• Sunrise and sunset time

Since this is the first version of the app, it would be nice to know what do you think about the app, and hear your feedback about it. Let us know how can we improve it and make it even better with your support! Thank you.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hi everyone!

As you probably already know, it's not easy to find a well organized and well designed weather app

You kidding? The App Store is lousy with weather apps. I mean, it’s been the main designer’s playground for the last few years. Every possible design and variation. The one thing that’s not easy to find is a way to avoid running into a new weather app every other day.

Good luck on your app, though.

brekane

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2020
You kidding? The App Store is lousy with weather apps. I mean, it’s been the main designer’s playground for the last few years. Every possible design and variation. The one thing that’s not easy to find is a way to avoid running into a new weather app every other day.

Good luck on your app, though.

Well, every day someone publishes new apps of a certain kind that already exists, you can find a lot of music players, calendar apps, video players, fitness app, mail apps and so on.
This doesn't mean that something can't be improved even further, thats why we created Overdrop.

Reactions: compwiz1202

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Well, every day someone publishes new apps of a certain kind that already exists, you can find a lot of music players, calendar apps, video players, fitness app, mail apps and so on.
This doesn't mean that something can't be improved even further, thats why we created Overdrop.
I am not saying it’s not an improvement. I am saying the ad copy “as you probably already know, it’s not easy to find...” is ridiculous.

You are essentially disparaging other peoples’ work, and making a provably false assertion. There are tons of great weather apps with great designs. Carrot, dark sky, weather1, etc. etc. (I mean, I can’t even fairly make a list - there are so many great apps).

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Yep there are TONS of weather apps in the App Store, and lots of great ones. Weather Mate Pro is my favorite. Funny how they all claim to be most "beautiful" "accurate" "powerful" "modern" whatever. Having said that, as a weather enthusiast I am always willing to give newcomer apps a try.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Personally I think the search and settings buttons get in the way of the animation and you might be overdoing it with the hour/date formatting (get it from the device's settings), but it's otherwise very nice. You use the card UI very well, particularly the matching of icon colors with the animations.

Be upfront about your pricing model by the way. That's going to get you in the reviews since you're not talking about it in the description.

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
I like it but a couple of points.

• When changing to dark theme, the header text remains black. Can't read it!
  • Maybe change the colour of the hourly forecast? It's blue which makes me think it's showing rainfall when it isn't
  • Could you show an hourly breakdown for future days?

10win

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2015
Nice app, i like it. It is possible to switch automatically to dark mode?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It looks nice and that there are multiple weather providers (paid version) within your app.
What I do miss in the app and especially the widget are things I always look for in good weather apps are:
- mm/inch of rain per hour (upcoming hours, every hour) and upcoming days
- % chance of rain per hour (upcoming hours, every hour) and upcoming days
- show forecast for upcoming hours (every hour) and days (3-5) that includes besides temperature also the rain forecast in detail % and mm

Unfortunately your widget looks nice, however lacks these things.

I hope you might add this in the near future.

jgz

macrumors regular
Hey you, I like your app a lot, especially, because we in Europe dont have access to the great Darksky-DB (The app is limited to US-App Store)
Are there any plans for an update for ios14 and for an apple watch complication? I would pay for that too :)

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Hey you, I like your app a lot, especially, because we in Europe dont have access to the great Darksky-DB (The app is limited to US-App Store)
Are there any plans for an update for ios14 and for an apple watch complication? I would pay for that too :)
You might want to look at some other really good alternatives such as Carrot Weather and Forecast Bar which also offer multiple sources and offer iOS14 homescreen widgets as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.