Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi !!!

I have a Nikon D50 and I am using it with a set of Studiolights from Profoto. To measure light I use a light meter. The light meter gives me the correct aperture value to be used.

However, when I shoot, my pictures are about two stops overexposed. In your opinion what is the reason for this??

Thank you,

Igmolinav.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
I forgot to mention, the Nikon D50 doesn't come with a PC outlet as the more profi models do. So, in order to trigger the studio flashes, I use a "slave" or "triggerer" from the brand name Wein which I mount on the hot shoe. To this "triggerer", I connect the cable of the studio lights. The Nikon D50 is my first digital DSLR camera. Thanks again. igmolinav.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi !!!

I have a Nikon D50 and I am using it with a set of Studiolights from Profoto. To measure light I use a light meter. The light meter gives me the correct aperture value to be used.

However, when I shoot, my pictures are about two stops overexposed. In your opinion what is the reason for this??

Thank you,

Igmolinav.

It does work. I use a D50 with a Norman studio setup. It works well.
I have a Minolta flash meter that gets the exposure dead on.

How exactly are you using the meter? What kind of a meter is it. is it an
incident or reflective meter? You do know that incident meters need to
be walked up forward to the subject location. You are goin g to have to describe
your procedure in detail.

One otyher method that works is to simply guess at the exposure and then use
the histogram display on the camera and adjust the lights unitil the
histogram is "correct". basically using the camera as a flash meter.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hey Thank you !!!

Hi,

I am in Germany. I'll do a few pics tonight about 10 p.m. when it is already dark and then I'll explain the procedure. Perhaps I can send you a few of them per e-mail. I don't know how to post them here, but it shouldn't be that hard, isn't?

Thank you very much again,

Ignacio.

P.S. I already miss that "old feeling" of one measuring with a light meter what later would become a very accurate f-stop for the camera, and not two stops like in this case.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
P.S.2. Because of the time difference you should be able to see them today as soon as noon time in California.

LightMast

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2007
Make sure the iso on the flash meter matches the ISO on the camera. Also shoot in full manual to minimize the camera's auto flash exposure from toying with your exposures.

profoto's are good heads......must be some configuration issue.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Thank you very much !!!!

I did it all over again, and now it seems to be working out properly.

It may look now a bit overexposed (perhaps 1/3 of a f-stop) but that is
not a major problem because when I shot film was the same.

Best,

Ignacio.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.