Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariovilar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Hello,
I've been having problems with my MacBook Pro (late 2019, 16 Inches). Even when I do "non-demanding" tasks and I'm connected to connected to my external display (for example: split external display and Mac display with a YouTube video) the temperature rises suddenly by about 10 degrees, the fans max out and kernel_task reaches 700% and doesn't lower until I disconnect the monitor.

My equipment:
  1. LG 29UM69G-B,
  2. Apple Magic Keyboard with numeric keyboard,
  3. USB-C Multiport Pro Satechi adapter,
  4. USB C to DisplayPort (4k@60Hz) cable, from uni.
And here is a list of things I've already done to solve this problem:
  1. Reset NVRAM.
  2. Reset SMC.
  3. OS update to latest version.
  4. Do not overload ports on one side: USB charging on the right and display USB on the left.
  5. Deactivate FireVault.
  6. Change the on-screen connection method: from hub to direct cable.
  7. Firmware update to the latest version by Apple workshop.
  8. Clean OS installation by Apple workshop. Total factory reset.
  9. No backup was restored in case it was a software problem.
Nothing has worked yet. From what they told me at Genius Bar, there might be a problem with my screen, because they did all kind of test and nothing like this happened to them with their external monitor. It's a plug-n-play monitor so no drivers were installed and LG OnScreen software is bullsh*t. I don't know what else to do :)

Some photos:

Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 21.21.00.png

Screenshot 2022-05-06 at 21.21.47 copy.png

Thank you in advance!

Note: Forgot to say that it seems to work fine on a Samsung monitor. It still made some noise but kernel_task problem probably went away.

Last edited:

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Boot your Mac into the Safe Mode (hold shift->power-> until apple logo) or into Recovery Mode (Cmd + R -> power -> until apple logo) to check if Mac will be overloading there
IDN, maybe it's something on kexts files

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
I was about to troubleshoot him, but you beat me to it. o_O
Such painful memories... I am somehow glad the thread is no longer on the front page tho!

From what they told me at Genius Bar, there might be a problem with my screen, because they did all kind of test and nothing like this happened to them with their external monitor.
The online Apple Support recommended that I uninstall Outlook and JetBrains apps - I might as well uninstall macOS... A history of what happened in my case, here.

mariovilar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2022
Such painful memories... I am somehow glad the thread is no longer on the front page tho!

The online Apple Support recommended that I uninstall Outlook and JetBrains apps - I might as well uninstall macOS... A history of what happened in my case, here.
Wow, I wouldn't have guessed THAT many people faced the same problem. I did some research a while back and never found anything related that much to my case. Anyway, I'm going to take a leap of faith and I will suppose Apple workshop cleaned the fans and all of that on their examination. Other options are: way too expensive (eGPU), don't wanting to kill myself (VRM Modding), "untenable" as you said (resolution/refresh rate tweaking and HiDPI option) or they simply don't work for me (disabling CPU Turbo Boost, Low Power Mode).
It's a pity that the 2019 Macs suffered from such dreaded GPU issues as the first 2011 models.
And yes, it is a pity: I spent over €2000 on this computer. I bought it a year ago and it's too devalued to be sold, also returning it isn't a choice. Genius #3 (yes, I went there three times) told me that if they send it to their Repair Center there's no guarantee even a single piece is replaced.
So... to sum up. As I now understand it the problem is inherent to 2019 Macs and there's nothing I can do.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
It's a pity that the 2019 Macs suffered from such dreaded GPU issues as the first 2011 models.
The GPU was not the problem in the 2011 Macs. The real cause was the HDDs that ran excessively hot. Over time, the constant heating and cooling caused the solder joints to crack. This is why re-flowing the solder joints in an oven fixed the GPUs.

2011s that had replacement SSDs did not have that problem.

I maintained a few hundred 2010–2011 Macs for a local school district (a few miles from Apple in Cupertino). As soon as I, Apple and others figured out the problem, we were replacing HDDs with SSDs. Total number of GPU failures over the years: 0

In 2012, Apple went to a cooler running hard drive.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The GPU was not the problem in the 2011 Macs. The real cause was the HDDs that ran excessively hot. Over time, the constant heating and cooling caused the solder joints to crack. This is why re-flowing the solder joints in an oven fixed the GPUs.

2011s that had replacement SSDs did not have that problem.

I maintained a few hundred 2010–2011 Macs for a local school district (a few miles from Apple in Cupertino). As soon as I, Apple and others figured out the problem, we were replacing HDDs with SSDs. Total number of GPU failures over the years: 0

In 2012, Apple went to a cooler running hard drive.
Yes, that is true. But the GPU is the one that failed in the end. The end user only hears that their GPU failed, not the whole engineering analysis as to why it failed.

• Haha
Reactions: mikehalloran

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Yes, that is true. But the GPU is the one that failed in the end. The end user only hears that their GPU failed, not the whole engineering analysis as to why it failed.
Instead, the end users go to MacRumors and read about 2011 GPU problems from people who don't know what they're talking about.

The truth is out there as the old saying goes but sometimes, you have to look for it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Instead, the end users go to MacRumors and read about 2011 GPU problems from people who don't know what they're talking about.

The truth is out there as the old saying goes but sometimes, you have to look for it.
The average user won't check. Again, the part the actually failed is the GPU, irregardless of where the issue started.

You want root cause analysis? (it's what you did) Perfect, the more tech oriented user can hunt it down via the internet.

• Haha
Reactions: mikehalloran

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
My 2011 MBP died because of that, a few weeks before the launch of the 2016 MBP (heh). So I duly replaced it with the 15". One stuck-keys and one swollen battery episode later the 2019 16" came out, and I was so excited and promptly made a replacement. Then Covid happened and I had to limp along with the overheating 16", until Oct 2021.

Thankfully, I have not had any real problem with the 14" M1 Max so far - let's hope it stays that way...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
My 2011 MBP died because of that, a few weeks before the launch of the 2016 MBP (heh). So I duly replaced it with the 15". One stuck-keys and one swollen battery episode later the 2019 16" came out, and I was so excited and promptly made a replacement. Then Covid happened and I had to limp along with the overheating 16", until Oct 2021.

Thankfully, I have not had any real problem with the 14" M1 Max so far - let's hope it stays that way...
At this point, I don't believe that M1 Macs are going to have any issues. I mean, the MBP and MBA have been around for 2 years and so far they have presented as solid machines.

Reactions: chengengaun

memorymanray

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2022
Morning everyone. Sorry for bringing back this.
I'm having the same issue with my MBP 2017 15". Initially was only when it was connected to a Dell 2720DC. But right now the situation gets worse and it's happening without connecting an external monitor. Fans are spinning at its maximum speed (5900 RPM) all the time with some tabs on safari. When I make a video call using zoom, Skype or FaceTime, the kernel_task percentage increase up to 500%, and everything becomes unusable. Even worse when I use After effects or premiere. Nevertheless, temperature keeps around 60ºC.
I tried a lot of work arounds.
  • Reset NVRAM and SMC
  • Format and made a clean installation, both Monterey and Big Sur.
  • Connect everything in the right USB-C
But nothing seems to solve the problem. The only thing I didn't make was to clean the coolers, could be just that?
Hope some one can shred me some light on this.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.