Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
UK
My rMBP 2012 been serving well so far, but noticed running pretty hot these days. Idle at 64c, Youtube and little task shoots temperatures to around 85c.

I have tried to repaste with thermal grizzly Kryonaut but not much of improvement. when I opened the back I have noticed how thin the heatsink is! Since the body is made of aluminium it occurs to me that what if I could spread the heat from heatsink throughout the body to keep the temperature cool. I have seen on google, people using thermal pads on pc laptops to do that. Just wondering if this could be an option to bring the temperature down? I am not an expert, so if anyone tried anything like this please feel free to share. What are Pros and cons of doing this? Thanks in advance

BLUEDOG314

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2015
If you aren't seeing much improvement there might be something else at play? Are you sure the heatsink is seated properly? The posts that hold them in place are notorious for breaking, and if they do the heatsink can't be held to the cpu properly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.