Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myoung15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
Australia
Just want to provide a tip for people who want to purchase an upgrade of their OWC internal SSD for the MacBook Pro.
It seems you are entitled to a rebate (not insignificant) if you buy a new OWC SSD to replace another.
In my case I bought an OWC 1tb 6 months ago to replace the Apple drive in my mid-2015 Macbook Pro Retina. Loved it and it worked fine.
Then decided to go to the 2Tb OWC internal drive. But this time I purchased from the Australian Re-seller.
Guess what!
The Australian re-seller doesn't honour the rebate. Their advice? Return it for a refund and then purchase from OWC in the States, and then apply for a rebate.
With a business model like this, I think there is a problem for both OWC and for their poor resellers!

wubsylol

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2014
This is... To be expected. Manufacturer promotions are not always honoured by resellers, and you'll likely find OWC resellers in any part of the world not honouring this rebate.

Reactions: AZhappyjack

myoung15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
Australia
I am shaking my head...
If I had a product that I wanted to sell as many as I could in as many markets as I could, then I would do deals with resellers to promote and support my product, for a fee... Great... So if I offer a rebate, or a version that goes at 100 miles an hour, or some other feature... and I wanted my resellers to sell the hell out of my product (rather than someone elses that they are a reseller for) wouldnt I support them to provide the same feature...
Anyway its a crazy way to do business, and with the way markets are going, who needs a reseller now anyway..

Reactions: macintoshmac

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
This is pretty common. Lots of manufacturer’s promotions are only available through certain authorised resellers.

myoung15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2018
Australia
Thanks Steve... and I get that, but what if the manufacturer is also a retailer?... so they compete with the reseller by offering features or promotions which they don't offer the reseller and, hey, the resellers arent as succesful as they thought they'd be, for all their effort.
Anyway, I might leave this. I have no horse in this race, and just wish manufacturers/sellers and their resellers all the best... I think the lesson for me was to ignore the resellers and go straight to the supplier..

hellopupy

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2016
Los Angeles
Consumers are quite entitled these days.

Maybe it was your responsibility to ask if they were participating in the rebate program?

Did they lie to you?

Reactions: AZhappyjack

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Different countries, different entities, different laws, different outcomes. Do your homework and pick the best option for your situation.

As others have stated, it certainly no surprise that stuff like this happens... we even have a local pizza outfit that is part of a national chain that doesn't always honor the chain-advertised specials... nothing you can do but shop elsewhere... it's perfectly legal, and up to you to check out the details of the transaction for yourself. Caveat emptor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.