Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vett93

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2014
California
I have a late 2013 Mac Pro with a 4-core CPU. I have upgraded the RAM to 64MB using OWC's dimms. It has worked fine since I bought it in early 2014. The main purposes for this MP are: (1) data science/machine learning model development, and (2) Photoshop and the like image processing software. Now I want to upgrade the performance again.

Has anyone used OWC's CPU upgrade service for the MP6,1? I want to upgrade the CPU to 12-core and the internal SSD to their Auro Pro X2 1TB SSD. Since CPU upgrade is non-trivial, I plan on shipping my MP to OWC for their upgrade service.

Anyone has experience with it? Any comments would be appreciated.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
Over the years, I have read many articles and user experiences with OWC. In my opinion, the CPU upgrade program works great, I would trust them on this end. Also the newer SSDs from OWC seems ok now after many years of problems with the old Sandforce controller. They have ironed out those flaws now, so I think you will be fine at this time.
Overall, I do myself go through those questions if it is really worth it to upgrade such an old Mac Pro (in my case the 5.1).
But at least for me the upgrades always paid for itself very fast. The Apple computers have proven to me over a decade now to be really great and they last a very long time with a high degree of durability. I would love to have a 6.1 just for the fun of it.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
It’s really quite easy to upgrade the CPU yourself; OWC has DIY videos on their website and it only takes about 30 minutes even if you’ve never done it before. They really overestimate the difficulty IMO. If you buy a used CPU from eBay (12 core is about $300) and install it yourself you’ll save a TON of money.

Reactions: loby
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.