Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tara7046

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2022
I have basic knowledge of programming. I heard that a person with zero programming knowledge can manage the software house as the owner. I am interested in iOS application development, Android application development and web development. i want to start my software house but i don't have any practical know how of managing the software house as the owner. Kindly explain in detail that what are the responsibilities of the c.e.o or owner of software house and how to manage the software house? There is any difference in between the ceo of software house and the owner of software house?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
What do mean a software House? To me home is not ware you make software unless your software developer bringing home software or Independent buddies working on software out of a his/her home!

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
My take: you have been grossly misinformed.

Agree. How are you going to evaluate the expertise of your prospective hires? How are you going to be able to set deadlines without knowledge of how much coding has to be done? There are costs involved in some programming tools. How are you going to be able to evaluate which ones are cost effective? The list goes on and on ....

Reactions: Romain_H

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What do mean a software House? To me home is not ware you make software unless your software developer bringing home software or Independent buddies working on software out of a his/her home!
A "software house" is a company that makes software.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
If the owner of a business is able to both recognize their weaknesses and hire people who are skilled in those weak areas, it is possible to make the business successful.

Perhaps the best known recent example is Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg. Meta/Facebook probably would be a minor competitor to a gigantic Myspace if Sandberg had not left Google when she did.

A recent (and ongoing) counterexample is Jack Dorsey. Block/Square and Twitter shareholders should have purged the boards of these companies long ago.

Last edited:

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
Perhaps the best known recent example is Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg. Meta/Facebook probably would be a minor competitor to a gigantic Myspace if Sandberg had not left Google when she did.
Zuckerberg was a programmer, he wrote the initial Facebook code. In fact I'm struggling to think of a big tech company that wasn't started by someone without any programming experience.

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
Agree. How are you going to evaluate the expertise of your prospective hires? How are you going to be able to set deadlines without knowledge of how much coding has to be done? There are costs involved in some programming tools. How are you going to be able to evaluate which ones are cost effective? The list goes on and on ....
Yes, hiring programmers is hard when you know the subject yourself. I'm not sure you could do it when you can't even code FizzBuzz yourself. Of course you could luck into finding the right person but they will have lots of other opportunities as well and will see right through your lack of knowledge.

tara7046

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2022
I should gain knowledge of programming and experience for starting a software house. I don't have any practical know how of starting a software house. I want to learn that how to manage a software house. Kindly explain in detail that what are the responsibilities of the c.e.o or owner of software house and how to manage the software house?

Romain_H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2021
I should gain knowledge of programming and experience for starting a software house. I don't have any practical know how of starting a software house. I want to learn that how to manage a software house. Kindly explain in detail that what are the responsibilities of the c.e.o or owner of software house and how to manage the software house?
You‘d have to study management and computer science to get an answer to that. Plus you‘d still need some experience developing software.
It is simply impossible to answer a complex topic like this with just a few words.
If it were that easy to start a software company, we‘d all start one and get rich.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
You need to know how to run a business so when you college at least minor in business accounting and how to setup at least a LLC business, plus earn enough money to hire a good tax lawyer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.