Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
It's a fantastic lens. I love mine. Occasionally I wish it was faster, but not all that often and the relatively light weight makes up for it.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Thanks all,

Looks like it's time to take my wife out for a meal and break the news to her :D Then check E-Bay and see what they have on there.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
I know the IS version of that lens is much more expensive, but if you can, get it. It will totaly transform this lens. I have had/used all versions of the 70-200 and the f4IS is the best of the bunch.

All that being said, if you want a tripod colar, dont get the one sold by Canon, get a cheap 15$ version from China.

Finaly, if you are not on a full frame, you might find the lens a bit too long on the shorter end. At least, that is what I found when I had a rebel. It was perfect for wildlife, but for street photography 115mm is a bit too narrow.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I know the IS version of that lens is much more expensive, but if you can, get it. It will totaly transform this lens. I have had/used all versions of the 70-200 and the f4IS is the best of the bunch.

All that being said, if you want a tripod colar, dont get the one sold by Canon, get a cheap 15$ version from China.

Finaly, if you are not on a full frame, you might find the lens a bit too long on the shorter end. At least, that is what I found when I had a rebel. It was perfect for wildlife, but for street photography 115mm is a bit too narrow.

"Not interested in recommendations for other lenses." :p

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
At one time or another, I've owned all of the Canon 70-200 L's, and they're all really sweet lenses. The f/4 offers light weight and sharp images at a very reasonable price.

waveslider

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
A great lens,silky smooth focusing, very sharp,( it's considered Canons sharpest zoom lens )

Light too, don't bother buying the coller, it doesn't need it.

Good choice :)

airmax922

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
San Leandro
just ordered mine

Just ordered mine from onecall,

although the bh has a better price, but I can use no interest for 12 months at Onecall

i got the IS version

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Been very happy with my 70-200 f/4 L. At the time the IS version wasn't available, but not had any regrets getting the lens.

A few shots taken with it

146, no.2
Rain

I also use this lens with the 1.4ex which has given great results. Only downside to this lens is the scratch I've managed to get on the front element, however it's off centre and does show up on anything (especially now it's used with the lens hood attached!).

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
Fantastic lens - love it. THe IQ is really great and it is not too large either. Ideally the 2.8 IS is better, but for carrying around this puppy does the job. just be aware that indoors or in low light this may not be it, but I have primes for that scenario.

I thought about upgrading to the 4.0 IS, but determined if I was going to spend that much I would go all the way to the 2.8 IS.

Great lens outdoors and on a 1.6 body the reach is farther as well.

I would buy it again and recommend it.

jwt

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2007
I haven't used mine in a wide range of scenarios yet, because I've only had it for about a month, but it seems like an excellent lens. I got it with IS, and it made life much easier. It seems to let 1/2 stop more light in at the same aperture setting as my 17-85, which made me quite happy. The colors are crisp and clear, edges are sharp, no vignetting, and high contrast regions show no fringing--makes me happier than hell. All of these qualities make life a lot easier when photostitching panoramas. I'm not sure how the color is, because I badly need to calibrate my monitor, but here are a few pix.

Attachments

• Arches1.jpg
    Arches1.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 86
  • Balboa Park1.jpg
    Balboa Park1.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 88

fisha

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
Its a really great step into the world of L lenses.

I bought mine last summer for use at horse shows and similar. Before that, i didn't really beleive people when they talk about L-lenses. After a few photos, i was amazed at the difference. The images have real 'pop' to them. The colours brighter and deeper and the focus is really sharp. Most of the best improvements i found over my old lense was how little ( or more to the point, none ) purple fringing I get on bright hightlights.

The focus is really snappy too. No hunting around or delays. Half press, focus, click, move on. Its rare that it misses.

dso a big thumnbs up from me.

JNB

macrumors 604
If the 50mm 1.8 "plastic fantastic" that everyone's got to have in their kit, this is the L equivalent. Outstanding value, super daylight/outdoor lens. Mated with the 1.4x teleconverter for a "little bit extra", a definite must have in the Canon bag.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
thanks for all your input.

Just ordered one off e-bay (saved £150 over shop prices) and will be here by Thursday. Will post some pics as soon as I've been out and about with it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
If you will be carrying a tripod/monopod or shooting under bright sunlight, non-IS version will work very well.

Many photographers (those without extremely steady hands) will need shutter speed equal to the focal length. If your Canon has APS-C image sensor, such as EOS 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 10D, 20D, 30D, and 40D, you need to further multiply the focal length by 1.6. To get steady image on these cameras (without tripod or steady hand or IS), you will need 1/320 seconds shutter speed.

That is why, despite your reluctance of admitting other lenses on this thread, IS is very useful to have, which for steady subjects, affords 2-4 stops of shutter speed (2 stops advantage at 320mm = 1/80, 4 stops = 1/20).

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
If you will be carrying a tripod/monopod or shooting under bright sunlight, non-IS version will work very well.

Many photographers (those without extremely steady hands) will need shutter speed equal to the focal length. If your Canon has APS-C image sensor, such as EOS 300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 10D, 20D, 30D, and 40D, you need to further multiply the focal length by 1.6. To get steady image on these cameras (without tripod or steady hand or IS), you will need 1/320 seconds shutter speed.

That is why, despite your reluctance of admitting other lenses on this thread, IS is very useful to have, which for steady subjects, affords 2-4 stops of shutter speed (2 stops advantage at 320mm = 1/80, 4 stops = 1/20).

Thank you for the advice on the shutter speed.

I should point out that it's not my reluctance on the IS version, it's my bank managers. That's the reason I didn't ask about the IS version, I knew I could afford the none IS version.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Great lens, but too slow for indoor use. Nice bokeh and very sharp imaging! But too slow. I would require at least 2.8 after using that 4.0 lens for one indoor gig (would even consider 135mm f/2.0 prime) but if you don't mind the lens being slow, it's great for what it is.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
Image stabilizers don't help anything to reduce the motion of a subject, it stabilizes the (fixed) background. For what I need my lenses for (people), lenses with IS are not helpful as helpful as a larger aperture.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
I guess you have already been talked into it, but I'll put in one more vote for it. I love this lens, fast focusing, sharp as a tack, great color, and light! (comparitively)

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
I have been talked into buying it, sat here now waiting for delivery guy to arrive.

EDIT:

Yippee it's arrived, quick test (just firing off shot) and this thing is quick.

Thanks for all your advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.