Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
Before I go out and drop $500 for a P&S camera that I want to use for an everything camera, I'd love to hear why anyone thinks they would choose a different make/model...

I am looking to take lots of indoor & outdoor macro shots, some outdoor nature landscape shots (not true 'landscape' shots), outdoor structures like building fronts... No real sports or action shots, but I love the idea of taking this camera underwater with the extra kit.

Anyone have optinions on other P&S or pro cameras which they think would be suited for my general reqs for $500, or just go buy the Canon SD700 IS...?

I realize the 4x optical & 4x digital zoom has its limitations. I am not looking to get a camera with tons of lenses. These photo will be uses for web mostly and I do not plan on printing anything larger than 13"x. However if a camera can be had at the same price point which would take print quality photos (magazine, etc.) without needing complete manual control & tons of accessories, please do tell.

Perfusion

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
Can't suggest any other options, as I'm not currently in the market for anything (other than maybe a 20D, but it's being phased out, so who knows)... I can say, however, that I have an S500 P&S that I received as a gift in 2004, and it is a fantastic camera. A friend with one recommended it to me, so that's what I put on my "wishlist." Got it, and couldn't be happier with my decision. It works flawlessly, and takes great shots. I've even (accidentally) dropped it from waist-high onto hard ground more than once, and it just keeps on tickin'... Canon = good. :D

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
I have decided I am going pick one up at Circuit City tomorrow. The macro ability plus the IS feature make this camera worth it.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Check out the Canon Powershot Pro1 first, it has an "L" series lens in it! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/

----------
While the SD700 IS a fine camera, you will not get decent results doing macro, for one it has a built in flash (YUK) for macro, you are going to overexpose just about everything when you get close. The Powershot Pro1 has a flash built in but it also has a flash hotshoe for mounting an off camera flash, which is perfect for macro when added to a decent flash bracket. If your going to get serious into macro then you definately dont want the SD700 IS. if you want a simple point and shoot for everyday stuff and not too much macro, then the SD700 IS is probably a perfect camera for you. It is a bit above your price range, forgot to mention... but a fine camera for what you want....

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
The SD700 is very different than the S500, which would be the next digital camera I'd buy if I could get my hands on one. The sensor is larger (1/1.8" vs. 1/2.5") which is the main thing that really makes me wary of the SD700. I can't understand why, after the SD550, which has a 1/1.8" sensor, they'd go to a smaller size. If you haven't researched it - smaller sensors have less area to collect light, and so do more poorly in general in low-light situations. I've always been a big fan of Canon, I love the way the super compacts perform in bright sun and the panoramas you can take with PhotoStitch are to die for. But I get burned all the time trying to take indoor shots with my Canon S400 (which has some issues and is slowly dying). I can't imagine the SD700, with a smaller sensor, will be any better.

I've been eyeing up the Fuji F30, yet to be released, which is designed specifically for low-light situations. I'm wondering whether the compromise, in terms of outdoor photos, is worth it. Especially since my favorite photos I've gotten are often with the panorama function on the canon...

Dave

bah-bah'd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2006
thanks for the valuable feed back. you helped me hash out and solidify my decision to purchase the SD700... I love how it captures outdoor photos & it will be the general use P&S camera... By the time I need something like the Canon Powershot Pro1 I will be buying a much more expensive camera.

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
cgratti said:
Check out the Canon Powershot Pro1 first, it has an "L" series lens in it! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/
Are they ever going to update that thing? For a company that loves to replace their dSLR models every 18 months or so, it is very unusual to see the Pro1 still lingering around. It would be nice to have the Digic-II chip, VGA movie modes at 30/60 fps, faster autofocus, faster startup time, reduced shutter lag, bla bla bla!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
ksz said:
Are they ever going to update that thing? For a company that loves to replace their dSLR models every 18 months or so, it is very unusual to see the Pro1 still lingering around. It would be nice to have the Digic-II chip, VGA movie modes at 30/60 fps, faster autofocus, faster startup time, reduced shutter lag, bla bla bla!

We will probably not see any more "bridge cameras" like the Pro 1 for a while IMO. It bumps up against their DSLR line too much. And these types of cameras were never big sellers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.