Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Hello

I am in love with my D80, but it's big, and when I'm out and about I'd love to have a nice P&S to play with.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

jhamerphoto

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
I'm in the same boat with my Sony A700. I'm looking into getting a Lumix TZ5K. With 9mp and a 10x optically stabilized leica lens, it seems like a pretty tempting offer under $400.

But if you're not big on zoom, have no budget, and want amazing images, grab a Sigma DP1.

Compared to all the other cameras I've looked at (and sold at work), the Lumix looks like a definite winner.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
The Sigma is gorgeous! However, I've budgeted myself for somewhere around a third of it's price.

Budget ~ $300
Zoom ~ 3x

I was recommended a Lumix FS3 or a Nikon P60 from a guy at Henry's.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I was in exactly the same situation - I wanted a relatively simple, compact P&S that was capable of producing good quality images that I could carry with me when I didn't want to lug round my Canon 30D etc.

Being a "Canon" person I obviously checked out the G9 but wasn't impressed because it could hardly be called "compact" and in spite of being a Canon, didn't, in my opinion, produce images that merited the relatively expensive outlay for a so-called "compact camera".

Eventually I settled for the Panasonic TZ3 which, with its superb 28-280mm Leica lens, really "fitted the bill" as far as I was concerned and satisfied all my requirements. Needless to say, I thoroughly recommend this camera - it produces images that, up to A4 size prints, favourably compare with those from my 30D with "L" lenses!!

The only caviat regarding the Panasonic was the fact that it took a bit of time to get used to using the 3" LCD screen as a viewfinder!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.