Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Yesterday, for some unknown reason, my paired HomePods decided to not go to sleep. By this I mean that the -/+ lights are staying on perpetually. They are running 14.6. They are running as the default speakers of my Apple TV, which is set as the ARC audio of my TV.
The set up is relatively new. The TV and Apple TV were installed about two weeks ago. But the problem was not occurring until yesterday.
Unpairing the HomePods solves the problem. But re-pairing them makes the problem occur again. I have tried restarting them, and also resetting them. Doesn't fix the issue. Will try a hard reset unless someone has alternative suggestion?
EDIT: Hard reset is not working either. Weird!
EDIT II: EDIT II: OK, if I turn "default audio output" on the associated Apple TV to "TV Speakers" as oppose to the HomePods, then they seem to sleep right away. So the problem must be with the Apple TV. (Tried turning off the ARC, independently, and this does not make them sleep).

Last edited:

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Be careful! There have been bug reports with the HomePod on 14.6 or 15.0beta getting bricked due to overheating when paired with the ATV or set up as Stereo Pairs. I Hardware Reset mine and wil let them be until the next update. Their behavior was quite unlike 14.5.

Reactions: NervousFish2

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2014
Thanks. Not sure yet if I have fixed the problem but on my actual TV (an LG C-series) I set the audio re-rout for ARC from "auto" to "passthrough" and it seems for now to have enabled the units to sleep. Hopefully it will stay that way but we will see. I'll report back.

Spotlighter9

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2021
Yes. See our previous discussion re + - volume light issue. But again be careful.

• Love
Reactions: NervousFish2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.