Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Here
I've seen those new Windows Vista commercials talking about how easy it is to take panoramic photos. How can this be done with a Mac. Does iPhoto do the trick or would I have to download something? Don't want to buy anything- hopefully there is something free out there.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
There is an open source program that will do this called Hugin:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/

Pretty sure I've used it before and it worked fine. Microsoft released a program (for Windows) a little while ago that did panoramics. I was surprised by how well it worked. I believe this was it:

http://lifehacker.com/5053826/microsoft-image-composite-editor-stitches-images-together

I think Hugin requires a little work, though still automates a lot of the process. The Microsoft app pretty much did everything for you. Obviously you have to run Windows, but it definitely was the most simple one I've used.

orangeillini14

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
Photoshop CS3 (and CS4 I'm guessing) has a feature called "Photomerge" under the Automate menu. I've used that and it works fine.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I've seen those new Windows Vista commercials talking about how easy it is to take panoramic photos. How can this be done with a Mac. Does iPhoto do the trick or would I have to download something? Don't want to buy anything- hopefully there is something free out there.

If you don't want to buy anything there are some very good free programs. it fact the best one is free. But be warned "pano tools" was designed for and by academics researching this area and it is not easy for a casual user to use.http://www.panotools.org/

The easiest to use free tool is on Canon's web site. It's part of the software Canon distributes with their cameras. It's free and will work with any JPG file from any camera

I think most people use Photoshop for this. PS CS3 has a really great photo merge tool. "Photo merge" is the more general terms that covers things like panoramas and HDR and other ways you might want to blend multiple images into one.

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Im gonna go ahead and piggy back on this thread.
I used PS to photomerge 3 pics to make a panoramic but now I want to print it. But here is the thing, I would like to print it on 3 separate 13x19 sheets (I have a Canon i9100). Whenever I attempt to print it in iPhoto or PS it only allows me to print the center of the image. Is there anyway to print the pano on 3 separate sheets?

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Is there anyway to print the pano on 3 separate sheets?

Save the image as three different images... 1, 2 and 3. Then crop each image so that they're all 1/3 the original width but cropped to the far left side (1), middle (2) and far right side (3).. then print each image individually.

mickbab

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
There is a thread here for posting your panoramic images, but it hasnt been active since the start of 2006!

Why doesn't everyone post some pictures in there now that we know how.

I just did :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.