Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i want to get into the digital photography age here and want a nice camera. i was looking at dslr's and i think that just might be a little over whelming for me right now. the two cameras i am currently looking at are the Panasonic FZ-8 and the FZ18. i know there is a difference of MP and Zoom. i read reviews from dpreview.com and it seems as though they liked the 8k more than the 18. i guess what im wondering is it worth the money for the MP and slight zoom upgrade, or is the 8k a good camera as it is

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i want to get into the digital photography age here and want a nice camera. i was looking at dslr's and i think that just might be a little over whelming for me right now. the two cameras i am currently looking at are the Panasonic FZ-8 and the FZ18. i know there is a difference of MP and Zoom. i read reviews from dpreview.com and it seems as though they liked the 8k more than the 18. i guess what im wondering is it worth the money for the MP and slight zoom upgrade, or is the 8k a good camera as it is

The difference between 8 and 7 MP is un-noticable. Makes no difference.
I'm not a fan of those "ultra zoom" lenses. You won't use it. the wide end of the range is much more important and useful. But of the two cameras the "8" looks to be more compact so maybe you will use it more.

But really, no one here can give you relevant advice without knowing how you plan to use the camera ad what you are going to shoot.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
im just going to be using it for recreation. im going to denver in a month and would love to use it to take pictures of the city, some wild life, and the nature what have you. im not going to be doing any hard core picture taking, but would love to have a nice camera for when i do want to take pictures

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.