Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John CS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I have just purchased this camera, having borrowed one from a friend. The picture quality is excellent, but I have a problem. When I import into iPhoto, I cannot find out how to delete the photos from the camera, using the iPhoto import facility. The photos will import, but are not then deleted. I have successfully deleted from other cameras, but there seems to be a block to prevent the deletion with the Panasonic DMC FZ28. Any suggestions or guidance would be welcomed.

Many thanks

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
I know it sounds stupid but is the card locked?
I use Aperture and after I import it gives me 3 options: Done, Eject card, Erase card.
Your not seeing anything like that?

Can you delete from the camera it self? (with the card in camera?) If not I would say the card is definitely locked.
Hope you get it figured out.

joe.cavers

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
I use my parents FZ18 sometimes, and when I'm uploading to iPhoto, before I press Import, there's a checkbox next to the Import button that says "Delete All Originals From Camera after Import" or something to that effect.

Does this help?

JC

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
I always delete images directly in the camera, usually by reformatting when I want to clear the card. There's less chance of data corruption, IMO.

John CS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Many thanks, all, for your comments. I did not pursue this earlier, because we had to return the camera, as it was faulty! However, we now have it back, and have taken many excellent photos with it, so are very pleased with it. However, the original problem remains. The card is not locked - photos can be deleted in the camera, which should not be the case, if it was locked. We can successfully import and delete from another camera, using iPhoto, so our technique is ok.

I appreciate that sometimes, it is preferable to delete directly in the camera, and that is what we are doing at present. However, we would like to be able to use iPhoto as it is supposed to work, i.e. delete photos as they are imported.

Can anyone help further?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.