Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Been reading lately about the new 'micro four thirds' format, and specifically the Panasonic G1 interchangeable lens camera. It has the same sensor as a normal DSLR, but forgoes the space-dependent mirror box. The image quality is supposedly equal to DSLRs of equal features, but at a MUCH smaller size.

Is this the future of professional cameras? Will all professional cameras 5 years from now be half the size?

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/PanasonicG1/

http://gizmodo.com/5048807/panasoni...s-smallest-camera-with-interchangeable-lenses

http://gizmodo.com/5051528/panasonics-tiny-lumix-dmc+g1-dslr+killer-does-shoot-hd-video

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is this the future of professional cameras? Will all professional cameras 5 years from now be half the size?

NO. It may be the future of high end consumer level cameras. The G1 is not aimed at pros.

Professional level cameras are heading up in size. Many pros at the hight end who can afford it are shooting with 645 format medium format digital. So called "full frame" DSLRs are getting more popular too as their price is coming down. People who care a lot about image quality will want the largest sensor they can afford

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Been reading lately about the new 'micro four thirds' format, and specifically the Panasonic G1 interchangeable lens camera. It has the same sensor as a normal DSLR, but forgoes the space-dependent mirror box. The image quality is supposedly equal to DSLRs of equal features, but at a MUCH smaller size.

Well, it has the same sensor as a 4/3-format dSLR anyway - which is the smallest dSLR sensor currently on the market. There are also usage considerations which will affect the quality of the image - for example, will people be using the viewfinder (camera against the face, fairly steady) or the live view screen (camera out away from the body, very unsteady) when framing their shot?

I agree with Chris. I hope this portends the way P&S cameras are going - but it's not going to have a significant effect on the dSLR market (except perhaps at the lowest end, where people sometimes vacillate between a dSLR and a P&S).

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Well, it has the same sensor as a 4/3-format dSLR anyway - which is the smallest dSLR sensor currently on the market.

Wouldn't you say that the same idea could potentially be applied to the larger formats as well? It seems the core idea here is the elimination of the mirror consequently reducing the necessary size, improving durability, and the overall number of parts to potentially fail.

I know that this MODEL won't replace high-quality DSLRs... but do you think this is a implication of what's to come?

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
4/3-format DSLR as in APS-C size sensors?

Oh yeah, saw the pics taken by the G1, not impressed, super grainy pictures at ISO800. I'm not sure if it has to do with the sensor size or with the image processing.

Well it is possible that this might be the future of DSLRs but I will find it hard to believe if they are going to get a lot of people to replace all their lenses for smaller ones.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Wouldn't you say that the same idea could potentially be applied to the larger formats as well? It seems the core idea here is the elimination of the mirror consequently reducing the necessary size

For consumer level camera yes. Smaller is better but if you are selling high end equipment it will be a long, long time before the reflex assembly can be replaced by electronics. For that to happen the LCD will need to have the same resolution is an optical viewfinder. In other words the screen needs to be as good a "real life"

Some day TV sets will be so good that you you will not even know you are looking at a TV. It will seem as if there was simply no wall in your living room and your sofa is on the 50 yard line of the football game. When this happens and they can make this screen tiny enough to go inside a camera then they can loose the mirror.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I found a wiki article on sensor size:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensor_size

4/3 is less than say, Nikon or Canon. I just got an Olympus E-500 DSLR that is 4/3, yes some will say grainier, but I love it and got a good deal on a 2 lens kit ($500).

This Panasonic has a Micro 4/3 System which is yet another type of format. You need an adapter to use regular 4/3 lenses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_System

I have a Panasonic FZ8 which is a like DSLR - and the Panasonics do tend to be very grainy by nature. I have a much older Olympus 5050 and the pic quality is better on that (though only 5 Megapix) since it has a higher quality sensor.

I just got my DSLR and I will find it hard for a Point-And-Shoot or a Like-DSLR to compete with it.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
It doesn't look much smaller than my D40... what is it supposed to compete with?

Here's what DP review said:
Olympus and Panasonic announced the new, mirrorless format / lens mount based on (and compatible with) Four Thirds in August of this year. The Micro Four Thirds system uses the same sensor size (18 x 13.5 mm) but allows slimmer cameras by removing the mirror box and optical viewfinder. The new format has three key technical differences: (1) roughly half the flange back distance (distance from mount to the sensor), (2) a smaller diameter lens mount (6 mm smaller) and (3) two additional contact points for lens-to-body communication (now 11 points). Removing the mirror mechanism allows this shorter flange back distance, meaning lenses for the new mount can be considerably smaller than current Four Thirds designs. The format will require framing to be carried out using Live View on either the LCD monitor or an EVF. Existing Four Thirds lenses can be used on Micro Four Thirds cameras using an adapter.

Sidebyside-001.jpg

The one in the center is the G1. The one on the right is a DSLR. The size difference is pretty obvious. It's supposed to compete with 4/3 DSLRs. Here are some other ways to visualize the difference:

mirror_02-001.jpg

MicroFourThirdsDiag-001.jpg

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The G1 is too big. You shouldn't compare to that huge Panasonic DSLR, but to the Nikon D40/D40x/D60 or the Olympus E-400/E-410/E-420

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
m4/3 is for people not wanting that bulk, but not the G1, except for the new lenses.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, I don't get the idea of G1, it eliminates Mirror box which suppose to mean it should be smaller then any DSLR but it end up as big as a Oly E something and slightly smaller then a D40 and family?

I prefer Olys idea of Micro FourThirds :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.