Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theconverted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago
So, as the title of the post implies, which one would you choose for an entry level DSLR? Ive been looking for an inexpensive entry level DSLR for about a year or so now and I kind of like these two, but am not sure which one to get. I am interested in the small size and features of these cameras. I dont need anything to fit into a pocket or anything, but I dont want to lug around a huge camera all the time either. I probably wont invest in any new lenses for quite a while, but I like have the option if I wanted to get more serious. Im kind of torn between these two cameras, but if you have a better suggestion of a camera thats about the same size in the same price bracket Im all ears. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
I briefly had the Panasonic G1 and decided to return it. Then i went to the Canon XSi, and now that I've sold that off, I'm contemplating buying the Olympus E620 myself. I must say that the Panasonic is a very impressive camera, and since it's 100% Live View, it's very easy to use the camera like a Point & Shoot instead of an SLR.

Here's why I'm gonna tell you to go with Olympus: Lenses. As nice as the Panasonic G1 body is, the lenses aren't all that great, and the camera does in-body lens corrections which is why I think the RAW files are still not Aperture compatible. The Olympus "kit" lenses are great and very lightweight, and their higher up, larger aperture options are even nicer. The Micro Four Thirds standard only has 2 lenses right now. Sure, you can buy an adapter for $150 to use Four Thirds, but you will lose autofocus capability with many of these lenses, and none will have IS. The E620 will autofocus and have built-in IS. So if you're looking to buy now between those two options, I'd say E620. A year from now, or when the Olympus Micro Four Thirds model and lenses come out, the answer might be different.

theconverted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago
Thanks for the input. I have been really torn between these two cameras, and with them being so new, its hard to get any actual user info. I do like the fact that the E620 has in body IS. Ive been waiting for so long to get a DSLR, that I dont think that I can wait another year for the next micro 4/3 to come out. Thanks again UnclePaulie

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Olympus, since it already has an established lens line.

look into Pentax and Sony as well, though Olympus (i think) has the smallest bodies.

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
Glad I could provide some info. Since my last post, I noticed that the E620 with 2 lens kit is on sale for $799 on Amazon right now. I'm trying very hard right now to not impulse buy.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Oh here is something to add on, G1 is NOT a dSLR. dSLR stands for digital-single-lens-reflex in which the user sees exactly what the camera sees through the a series of prisms or mirrors. G1 does not have a mirror/prism box hence should not be classified as a dSLR.

theconverted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago
Yeah Im aware of the lack of an actual pentaprism lens reflex in the G1, I just wasnt going to split hairs. Also, being new to the SLR world, Im not married to the idea of have such a traditional set up. UnclePaulie, I too have seen that Amazon listing every night now for about a week and just stare at it with the mouse over the "Add to Cart" button for a few minutes. Hopefully by the end of the month Ill have made a purchase of one system or another.

gazonk

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
Consider the Pentax K-m (K2000 in the US)

So, as the title of the post implies, which one would you choose for an entry level DSLR?

Although slightly heavier than the E-620, it's still among the smallest DSLRs available. It's less expensive than the two you mentioned, but will give you better image quality at high ISO because of the larger-format sensor.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Although slightly heavier than the E-620, it's still among the smallest DSLRs available. It's less expensive than the two you mentioned, but will give you better image quality at high ISO because of the larger-format sensor.

The other reason for going with a "real" SLR is that is faster to react. The most annoying feature of most all P&S cameras is shutter lag, the time between when the shutter button is pressed and the shutter opens. If more than a millisecond or so action photography becomes imposable. So all you get are posed shots of static subjects.

The reflex mirror means that you get a "perfect" view. No LCD can be as sharp and clear as directly viewing with your eye with no electronics involved.

Also youi really do want to buy into a "system" that has more than just a hand full of lenses and bodys. You need a growth path. If not your are at a dead end.

I would recommend buying from any of the CAMERA manufacturers who have at least a 40 or 50 year track record. that would be Nikon, Canon, Lieca, Olympus and so on. These guys have shown by their record they are committed to cameras, not just consumer electronics

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I started in with Olympus with the release of the E-500. I currently own an E-520 with a few lens (in body IS is great by the way). I really like the Olympus line. I am by no means a Pro but have a lot of money invested in my glass. I don't think you'll go wrong with either option but to me, the most important thing is the glass. Look at the Olympus line and the sigma line. If you can see yourself upgrading to some of the more expensive lens, Olympus is the way to go. If you just want something to shoot with and don't really care about different zooms or aperture, the Panasonic is the way to go. The great thing about the 4/3rds system is the reach. 2x any lens you put on it, the downside is the noise. Anything over iso 400 is hard to deal with. You'd need a noise software to deal with anything over iso800.

theconverted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago
Well I guess that people make some pretty good arguments for the Olympus. Ive got CS4 and am eager to try to learn Photoshop a little better for the post process as well. I assume that both these cameras will be able to handle my experimenting according to the different reviews Ive been reading. I am also interested in trying some HDR photography (I know how some people feel about this type of photo, but I really like the way some of really processed pics look). Thanks all for the advice.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I am very happy with my Olympus E-3, and the noise issue is over-hyped by most Canon and Nikon users... I do great at ISO 1600 but not being a professional indoors photographer, I rarely shoot past 800 anyways. The Panasonic L1 I started with was also a great camera, ergonomics is perfect for me both ways... Olympus glass is second to none and one of the few brands that is sharp corner to corner even with standard grade lenses wide open. The 4/3 sensor is not much smaller than your typical ASP/C in any other manufacturer... it's not too small like in a point and shoot or superzoom prosumer model. That makes the G1 a p+s size camera with a dslr sized sensor! Pretty cool.:cool:

The 2x focal length factor works for me, a surf photographer.

But the G1 is too small for my large hands to even consider, and as others have said no lens lineup.

Here's a recent shot from my E-3 at ISO 800 - what noise?

mikeshreds.jpg

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I didn't read through the entire thread, but the G1 is crap. It works like crap --- the electronic viewfinder is crap, the focusing is crap. I think an electronic viewfinder will work when OLED screens become the norm, but until then, you're staring at a crappy little screen. Supposedly, the screen isn't horrible, but once you use it, you'll wish it was an optical viewfinder.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
In the end it is about what size of kit you want to carry.... the MFT system will be smaller overall than the E620. If size and weight are a consideration, you might want to wait to see what Olympus has up their sleeves for this Fall...

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I am very happy with my Olympus E-3, and the noise issue is over-hyped by most Canon and Nikon users...

Here's a recent shot from my E-3 at ISO 800 - what noise?

mikeshreds.jpg

What a great shot! Make us Olympus owners proud!

I hope to be shooting some rocket launches at our Rocketry club over the weekend.

I'll be using the Nikon 80-400 ED VR lens... (that translates to 160-800 :eek:)

First time doing something like this - shooting with an adapter (I've tried it with an old Nikon kit lens around the house). I was told that adapters stink since they change the optical quality. But if you use Canon or Olympus, their bodies are thin enough that adapter optics are not necessary. Will maybe start a new "adapter" thread and post pics.

BTW OP - I hear that Panasonic sensors are sort of noisy at this point, and that their cameras are more for "consumers that want to have the status of being an SLR user"... :eek:

theconverted

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Chicago
The opinions on this thread have been really helpful. I think that Ill probably end up getting the Oly. I dont exactly have gargantuan hands but Im not a very little guy either, and the panasonic does seem a little too small. The size and weight dont bother me so much, I just wanted something that was a little portable. As far as waiting, Ive been waiting for about a year and a half to get a DSLR, and I dont think I can wait anymore. I guess that you could always wait forever for the next new gadget to arrive, but then your not taking any pictures in the mean time. srf4real, thats a great pic. No noise and the wave looks frozen solid. Thanks everyone for the input. Being new to photography I really appreciate the input about the entry level cameras. I do have another question for you all. If I do decide to get the Olympus E620, should I shell out the extra cash for the 2 lens kit? Im not sure how much I need it. I realize its got a much greater focal length and all, but would I be better off just shooting with the standard lens and then getting a new lens at a later date if I need it, or just spend the $100 now and have it in case I want to use it. I guess in short, is it worth an extra $100?

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
BTW OP - I hear that Panasonic sensors are sort of noisy at this point, and that their cameras are more for "consumers that want to have the status of being an SLR user"... :eek:

I'm pretty that the Olympus E-620 uses the exact same LiveMOS sensor (made by Panasonic) as the G1 does. If there's any image difference it's because of the different JPEG processing, and they should be identical when shooting RAW.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Panasonic's AA filter is much weaker, hence the extra artefacts... yet in resolution tests does better than the Olympus sensor.

If you plan on shooting in the super tele range, get the wide angle single lens kit and save your $$$ for the Olympus 70-300mm 4-5.6 it is a killer long zoom for good light and not too hard on a budget, around 320 I think now and worth every penny.

As others have said, Panasonic has only recently dabbled in the dslr market and has shown no commitment to any of their slr product lines so far, except to over charge for inferior specification. It might be wise to rule them out unless you absolutely have to have the world's smallest 'dslr' right now. Others will appear soon enough, and more likely far better.;)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
I was at MicroCenter earlier today and they have the G1.

I took a look at it.

First, the battery wasn't charged, so I couldn't really try it - to the point of not being able to even look through the VF as it's electronic.

Second, the feel is fine, but just as good, IMHO, as the Olympus E-420, which really isn't that much larger, AFA the body.

Third, the lens for it is really small. I took the lens off to check it out more, and there in the open is the censor... :eek:

And that's the deal breaker... I don't like the sensor being out in the open like that when you have the lens off of it...

UnclePaulie

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2004
LA, CA
To the OP, I was mulling over the Olympus E-620 this past week. This weekend, I was at my local Best Buy and walked out with a Nikon D90 (way over my budget). I couldn't find anywhere local to try out the Olympus and I wasn't comfortable buying it sight unseen. I had a Nikon D40 in the past and ended up getting pulled back to Nikon instead of switching brands. When it comes down to it, I'm sure all these cameras take great photos. What really matters is which brand's lens selection you like the best, and which body feels the most comfortable to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.