Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
These shots have just appeared on Engadgets site for a possible rival for Olympus's E-P1. From the details and pictures available it looks really promising as it has a pop up flash and the possibility of an EVF. Its also pictured with a 20mm f1.7 lens with would make it even more tempting. As for the design it looks like an evolution of the LX3 and I think its quite a looker.

Heres the link:Panasonic GF1

If the price is similar to the E-P1 then its would definitely get my vote!

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
the picture of the lens in the thread says "ASPH"...what's that mean? aspherical?

still waiting for an APS sensor not named M8...

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
ASPH generally does indeed mean aspherical.

I like the look of the Panasonic far more than the Olympus (I actually think the Olympus is downright ugly - I get they've gone for "retro", but they've not pulled it off well. They need to look at Leica's definition of retro...), and hopefully it is the start of some decent compacts.

jpfisher

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2006
New Jersey
Not having a mirror mechanism does have some distinct advantages over an SLR -- smaller size camera, quieter, the ability to use compact, yet high-quality, optics.

The rumored GF1 reminds me a lot of the Leica CL/Minolta CLE, minus the optical finder of course.

I've been considering a M4/3rds camera for a while... might get an EP-1 at some point... it'd make a nice, lightweight addition to my rangefinder kit, allowing me to shoot wide with the M8 and to move optics over to the EP-1 via an adapter if a more telephoto effect is required... plus it looks like CameraQuest is going to be stocking a direct Pentax K--M4/3rds adapter in the not-too distant future, which would essentially let me mount every lens I own on the camera (minus the medium format stuff).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.