Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
Hey people !
well, i dont really have that much experience with photography, besides taking pics with my point and shoot camera, its been a while that i wanted to buy a better camera and start shooting some really nice and high resolution pics, is the Lumix FZ35 a good camera ? does anyone have any experience with using this ?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
My friend has one as he didn't want to go dSLR and I mentioned the FZ35 and he is a happy bunny. They do seem to get very well in reviews.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'd bought my daughter an FZ15 prior to her trip to Japan (wanted a decent camera but didn't want her potentially misplacing or losing $500). That turned out to be a nice little pocket camera.

As far as taking professional picks - while no compact point and shoot is going to have quite the same IQ as a dSLR, the quality of the pictures has much more to do with the person taking the photos than the camera. If you're just pulling it out and snapping at the drop of a hat, the photos will not be "professional looking". They may still be fun, and provide good memories... but for quality photos, you have to think about composition, framing, and light a lot more than the vast majority of people with cameras seem to do.

djarsalan2006

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2009
New York City
I'd bought my daughter an FZ15 prior to her trip to Japan (wanted a decent camera but didn't want her potentially misplacing or losing $500). That turned out to be a nice little pocket camera.

As far as taking professional picks - while no compact point and shoot is going to have quite the same IQ as a dSLR, the quality of the pictures has much more to do with the person taking the photos than the camera. If you're just pulling it out and snapping at the drop of a hat, the photos will not be "professional looking". They may still be fun, and provide good memories... but for quality photos, you have to think about composition, framing, and light a lot more than the vast majority of people with cameras seem to do.

well, thats great
what i meant by professional looking is this;
i searched Lumix FZ35 on the Flickr and some really nice pics showed up, so what i meant is that will i be able to take pics like that ?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
well, thats great
what i meant by professional looking is this;
i searched Lumix FZ35 on the Flickr and some really nice pics showed up, so what i meant is that will i be able to take pics like that ?

I think you're missing my point. It's not like there's a magic camera that will automatically give you great looking pictures. If, as you say, you found some "really nice pics" that were taken with the FZ35 - then obviously the camera is technically capable of taking high quality pictures. Most cameras are technically capable of taking high quality pictures. But how the pictures come out mostly is related to your technique or lack of it.

When you see bad pictures on Flickr or elsewhere - not lit well, blurry, just plain uninteresting, etc. - it's almost certainly not because the camera was bad. The problem is the person taking the picture didn't do a good job. Hence my statement about technique in that first post.

Also, understand that you WILL take some crappy photos at times. The way to become a better photographer is to learn from those crappy photos - figure out what you did wrong, or what you don't like about the photo, and remember that the next time.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I think the point is - the Panasonic can take great photos. However, don't go into this by just reviews and looking at photos on Flickr - try one - hold it - use it and say does this camera make sense to me. Is it ergonomic for you. The FZ35 is very capable in the right hands

As Westlife guy said any camera can take a good photo

here are a few I've taken with various camera's

1. Taken on a 2 megapixel camera phone (Samsung) can't remember model number.
4207339109_bdf823de6f.jpg

2. Taken with a 3 megapixel Fuji S304 (P/S)
4201515825_0a9d729fd6.jpg

3. Taken with a disposable Kodak 35mm film camera.
4201056360_e45e9efe08.jpg

4. This Hawk moth you are unlikely to be able to catch with a point and shoot - I used a Samsung dSLR
4161644821_9ed55182e8.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.