Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scubajay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2006
Great Totham, UK
I have a rather bitchin' panorama pic I took the other day, and I want to use it as a wallpaper, but it seems that when this is tried the shot replicates itself in order to fill the screen. How can I get it so that just the shot goes across the centre of the screen, and there is a black "letterbox format" across top and bottom?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I have a rather bitchin' panorama pic I took the other day, and I want to use it as a wallpaper, but it seems that when this is tried the shot replicates itself in order to fill the screen. How can I get it so that just the shot goes across the centre of the screen, and there is a black "letterbox format" across top and bottom?

Add black bars to the image. In other word make the image exactly as tall and wide as your monitor.

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
Change the display setting in System Preferences (from the same area where you choose which image to be used as your desktop) from "Tile" to "Fit to Screen". You can also choose what color should be used as the matte for the top and bottom bars that will result from that setting.

syspref.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.