Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Running emulated Intel apps for my work on virtualised Insider ARM build of Windows. Am I going to have headaches, or will I be fine? I know people run Parallels just fine on 8GB Macs, so 16GB RAM should be plenty.

Please share your experience with Parallels running on Apple silicon.

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Visual Studio will have problems with ARM based processors. I have seen some people game on M1s
I won’t run anything heavy like that, just one obsolete x86 finance app my employer is still using (very slowly transitioning to online solutions).
I have to wait till December and learn for myself, then keep or return it within the first two weeks. But I’m still curious to hear how Windows run on M1 for you early adopters.

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
I won’t run anything heavy like that, just one obsolete x86 finance app my employer is still using (very slowly transitioning to online solutions).
I have to wait till December and learn for myself, then keep or return it within the first two weeks. But I’m still curious to hear how Windows run on M1 for you early adopters.
Standard x86 application should run fine but if it is .Net application then it might not be supported. If I am not mistaken only .Net 4.8 and above which are supported on Windows on Arm. .Net 6 which will launch in Nov 2021 will fully support Windows on Arm.

Reactions: slplss

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
Standard x86 application should run fine but if it is .Net application then it might not be supported. If I am not mistaken only .Net 4.8 and above which are supported on Windows on Arm. .Net 6 which will launch in Nov 2021 will fully support Windows on Arm.
Thanks, I’m not really familiar with what kind of application or version of .Net it is. Any easy way to find out?

ultrakyo

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2015
Thanks, I’m not really familiar with what kind of application or version of .Net it is. Any easy way to find out?

Refer to this link to check what dotnet is installed on the system.

If you are app are built on dotnet then you will need to ask the developer which version they compile it to. If it is dotnet 3.5 - 4.8 then most project just need to recompile to dotnet 4.8 version without much changes.

Moving to dotnet 6 will be a huge migration.

Reactions: slplss

AgentMcGeek

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
London, UK
I've been trying out games on a W11 VM on a 14' MBP. Eventually it depends on the graphics engine. UE4 games like Satisfactory work great (40 fps), while Frostbite-based FPS like Battlefield may be more stuttery or come with annoying glitches. For instance, BF1 is unplayable because of a major lighting / flare bug. It's a shame because otherwise the fps is decent. Older games like Battlefront 2 are playable, especially in interior maps.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I've had a daily kernel panic (or whatever they are called now under Apple Silicon) on the 14" MacBook Pro since installing the latest 12.1 beta. Basically the screen stops, the fans rev up (the only times I have ever heard them), and the only solution is to hold down the Touch ID key. Every time it has happened, I have had Parallels 17.1 running, so I'm guessing it has something to do with it, though I don't see many helpful clues in the Console.

RainbowSWE

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2021
I looked into the support docs, Visual Studio is in no way supported on ARM silicon. Visual Studio 2022 is very clear on that requirement.

I think I have resigned to not running Windows on an Apple Silicon for the time being. For personal stuff it's not an issue but for work I need an Intel Mac.

Reactions: Cape Dave

slplss

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
EU
So that one program I wanted to run in Parallels 17 has repeatedly failed at installation. Looks like I'll be travelling with two notebooks for few months, thankfully employer is slowly rolling out fully fledged web based version of the app.

cookiesnfooty

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2009
Harrogate
I looked into the support docs, Visual Studio is in no way supported on ARM silicon. Visual Studio 2022 is very clear on that requirement.

I think I have resigned to not running Windows on an Apple Silicon for the time being. For personal stuff it's not an issue but for work I need an Intel Mac.

Visual Studio is not supported but I have it running on my 13" M1 Macbook Pro and it works very well. I only gave it 4GB and 2 cores.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I just migrated to a M1Max 14" laptop coming from an 2018 15" intel with Parallels running windows 11 for some legacy software that I need.

The setup was amazing - I opened Parallels desktop after the migration, it automatically downloaded ARM Windows 11 and installed. I then installed my software and it ran perfectly. No signing up for developer, no need to make a downloaded Windows disk, etc.

Keeping this MBP was contingent on getting the software to run and I'm really excited it did.

Everything is fast. Display and keyboard are amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.