Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattbh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2016
Good evening, I need to install Windows 7 or 10 on a MacBook Pro 15 i7 16GBRAM . So I can do it using bootcamp or virtual machine(Parallels 11 or Fusion 8 Pro)?
Someone could tell me which one is the best ? I need to run some videos, install adobe bundles and also Ms office. I´m really appreciate for any help.
Thanks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Both have the merits and downsides. Both also offer trial versions, and so I recommend you try both out, and see which one fits your needs.

Also don't forget to consider VirtualBox which is free.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Parallels and VMware allow for using a physical Bootcamp install to b e used in a VM - dual boot for native OS as well as VM for when you do not need full 100% hardware resource demands.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I was debating this same issue. I preferred Fusion in the past, but I read that VMWare laid off their entire Workstation and Fusion teams in January 2016 and that those products are likely to be EOL'd when support ends in Feb 2017.

Does anyone have any other info?

CatBookPro

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Salem, MA
I was debating this same issue. I preferred Fusion in the past, but I read that VMWare laid off their entire Workstation and Fusion teams in January 2016 and that those products are likely to be EOL'd when support ends in Feb 2017.

Holy crap! :eek: Seriously? There are a TON of businesses that are using VMware Workstation. If they ditched the Workstation product: That would tend to suck...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the general consensus is that Vmware is moving (or already moved) their development staff off shore, i.e., cheap labor. Personally that sort of move means they lost me as a customer.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Holy crap! :eek: Seriously? There are a TON of businesses that are using VMware Workstation. If they ditched the Workstation product: That would tend to suck...
This was posted by Michael Roy on the VMware communities forum on March 23, 2016 in response to the many questions people have on the future of Fusion. Michael Roy is the Product Line Marketing Manager for Fusion, Fusion Pro, Workstation Pro and Workstation Player at VMware. He guides product roadmap and messaging, produces and presents technical collateral, and works across teams to refine product integration strategy.
Thanks for the feedback. We hear you.

One thing to note however is that the only team affected was the UI team.

All core hypervisor, virtual device and platform layer development remains unchanged. This includes graphics, networking, USB devices, and everything that doesn't fall explicitly under 'UI'.

Further, the old UI team is actively transitioning the code knowledge to the new team directly, it's not a matter of 'go read the docs'.

Lastly, many of the key UI developers are still with VMware working on other projects and will be able to share their expertise if the new team requires it in the future.

While we're on the topic... The new team is actually twice as large as the old and more specialized in the areas where we want Fusion to grow. We have gained support for our updated roadmap the past few weeks, and while I can't get into the details yet, we (the product team) are incredibly excited about the direction that we're taking the product in, and that direction is largely drawn with feedback from users like you and everyone else who has chimed in on this thread.

Keep it coming! We're reading everything!

So I am personally hopeful for the future of Fusion and Workstation and that VMware will continue to support it.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Thank you for the post. Your post was very informative. Any word on Fusion 9?

I need to purchase an updated emulation program for El Cap and I am having a lot of trouble deciding between Fusion and Parallels. They offer similar performance. I would like to trust VMWare but I have been burned by other companies in the past and I don't like the subscription model Parallels is pushing because once the subscription ends, so does access to that software. (Some companies offer subscriptions but allow the user to retain access to the last version of the software.)

Thoughts?

This was posted by Michael Roy on the VMware communities forum on March 23, 2016 in response to the many questions people have on the future of Fusion. Michael Roy is the Product Line Marketing Manager for Fusion, Fusion Pro, Workstation Pro and Workstation Player at VMware. He guides product roadmap and messaging, produces and presents technical collateral, and works across teams to refine product integration strategy.

So I am personally hopeful for the future of Fusion and Workstation and that VMware will continue to support it.

S.B.G

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thank you for the post. Your post was very informative. Any word on Fusion 9?

I need to purchase an updated emulation program for El Cap and I am having a lot of trouble deciding between Fusion and Parallels. They offer similar performance. I would like to trust VMWare but I have been burned by other companies in the past and I don't like the subscription model Parallels is pushing because once the subscription ends, so does access to that software. (Some companies offer subscriptions but allow the user to retain access to the last version of the software.)

Thoughts?
VMware doesn't announce new software ahead of time usually, quite like Apple doesn't either. So, no there hasn't been any word on a version 9 yet. You can always check their Fusion blog here for updates: http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/ I keep it in my RSS feed and follow them on Twitter.

If you need a solution now, I'd go ahead and get Fusion 8. If I recall correctly, when they release a new version, people who bought the old version within a month or so of the new release get a free upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.