Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applecore123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2018
Hi guys,
I'm trying to partition my main drive, but the + is greyed out. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?
Thanks!
upload_2018-9-12_12-41-29.png

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
In my limited experience with APFS, what you're seeing is a result of no partition map existing (yet) on your Mac. APFS's metaphor utilizes Volumes - dynamically resizable containers within the Mac's Container. Read my recent post here for my input/responses in a thread about a user wanting to install Mojave alongside HS, along with a post two posts below (with an external link with more info about Volumes...), and my additional post later in that thread. I have 3 Volumes on my iMP - HS, Mojave, and Windows 10. I no longer use partitions as Volumes serve exactly the same purpose but with additional benefits and with no worries about partition map corruption and reformatting. Partitioning is IMHO a legacy of the 90s that needed to be put down.

If you truly want to go with partitions, you'll need to boot into Recovery Mode and use Disk Utility in that Mode - Disk Utility will then be able to create a partition map.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How I'd handle this:

1, Boot the Mac from an EXTERNAL boot drive.
2. Open Disk Utility and "aim it" at the internal drive
3. Erase the internal drive to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled
4. When done, partition as required.
5. Install an OS (if required) onto the first partition from my backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.