Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norachu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2016
Hi! I am running macOS High Sierra on my mid 2014 Macbook Pro. When I first got it, I had planned on dual booting with Windows 7, but I opted not to after all. I partitioned my hard drive so I could do both. I had done it in some format where I couldn't put files over a certain size on it and converted them both to the same type. I just want them merged together.

mTbGeJ7.png

However, partition is greyed out. Ideally, I'd like to do this without losing data, but I'm not sure why partition is greyed out. I don't know what I need to do now? I mean, I would really rather not have to buy another external hard drive but I guess I can if I have to. I'm just baffled as to why I can't merge them.

Thanks!

-Nora

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ordinarily, you would need to remove the lower partition (and lose the data on it), then you could resize the upper Random one into the now free space below it. But you have a problem there that is going to prevent this... your drive is formatted in Master Boot Record (MBR) format and it needs to be in the GUID format to be able to resize. You will need to reformat the whole drive to change it to GUID.

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 9.33.17 AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.