Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Solution: To anyone else having this issue:

1. Ensure you are using Apple's Java 6 and not Oracle's Java 7. Watch this video for instructions on how to downgrade from Java 7 to Java 6.

2. Go here to download an experimental version of LWJGL. Click here to download it directly.

3. Once downloaded, go to ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin and replace the file "lwjgl.jar" and the folder "native" with the new files from the above experimental download.

Once the above steps are completed, Minecraft should work as normal.

I can only click on things in the area in the red box in the picture below when I play Minecraft. I am unable to click on anything outside of that area. The cursor just stops right along the outline like the screen stops there or something. This was not a problem on my 2009 17" MBP. Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to mention that if I don't play full screen I can still click on everything. The bigger I make the window, the less I can click on.

OGz6Q.png

Last edited:

markus843

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2012
I can only click on things in the area in the red box in the picture below when I play Minecraft. I am unable to click on anything outside of that area. The cursor just stops right along the outline like the screen stops there or something. This was not a problem on my 2009 17" MBP. Any ideas?

OGz6Q.png

Honestly you should go to the minecraft forums, Here

They'd probably help you out more than macrumors.

:apple:

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Make sure Java is up to date? I've never run into this issue.

I thought this too and hoped the recent Java update would fix the issue but no luck.

If it helps, I'm using an external monitor, but the same thing happens when I move the window to the primary display.

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Are you playing in OS X or Boot Camp?
If Boot Camp then I may know why it is like this.

DT39

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
I've been using Minecraft in OS X for Months never had this problem.
Unless like somebody else suggested that you are running in boot camp then i don't know as i never run boot camp.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I am not running Minecraft in Bootcamp, as you can tell by the three buttons in the top left hand corner of the window :p.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Forgot to mention that it only happens in full screen. If I play windowed I can click on everything normally. The bigger I make the window, the less I can click on. Not sure if this helps or not.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Are you sure your specs are high enough to run it?

I would hope 8GB of RAM, a Quad Core i7 processor and a dedicated graphics chip would be enough to run it.

And like I said, I didn't have this issue on my Mid-2009 17" MBP and that was on a core 2 duo processor.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Bumping this thread with the hopes that someone else may have encountered this issue? Even on the latest version of Minecraft/Java, this issue still occurs. I am completely clueless as to why it's happening.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yeah, its a problem with LWJGL. I see that you are using modded MC, if you use MultiMC then you can try changing the LWJGL version until it works. If you are on Tekkit or FTB, ask in their support forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
Forgot to mention that it only happens in full screen. If I play windowed I can click on everything normally. The bigger I make the window, the less I can click on. Not sure if this helps or not.

I can't really tell you how to fix this, but I can explain it.

The reason is: When you are playing in full screen, the game itself still "thinks" it's windowed. So that's why when you click outside the "window" (not really, because you're in full screen), nothing responds, because to the game, you're clicking "outside" the "window", even though it's in full screen.

Does this make sense? :p

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
I can't really tell you how to fix this, but I can explain it.

The reason is: When you are playing in full screen, the game itself still "thinks" it's windowed. So that's why when you click outside the "window" (not really, because you're in full screen), nothing responds, because to the game, you're clicking "outside" the "window", even though it's in full screen.

Does this make sense? :p

This does make sense to me, but why is it happening? The only thing that's changed is my computer. I upgraded from a 17" MBP to 15" rMBP. I still have the same external monitor, same version of java and same version of Minecraft. Why is this different on the newer MacBook?

Yeah, its a problem with LWJGL. I see that you are using modded MC, if you use MultiMC then you can try changing the LWJGL version until it works. If you are on Tekkit or FTB, ask in their support forums.

I use ModLoader. Is is easy to change the LWJGL version? I'm not using Tekkit or FTB, just ModLoader with SinglePlayerCommands and TooManyItems.

Last edited:

suclearnub

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Equestria
This does make sense to me, but why is it happening? The only thing that's changed is my computer. I upgraded from a 17" MBP to 15" rMBP. I still have the same external monitor, same version of java and same version of Minecraft. Why is this different on the newer MacBook?

I use ModLoader. Is is easy to change the LWJGL version? I'm not using Tekkit or FTB, just ModLoader with SinglePlayerCommands and TooManyItems.

An Enderman took your screen space. Tough luck.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Well, try MultiMC, it makes managing mods and multiple Minecraft versions very easy. You can also change the LWJGL version manually, google it. It can get messy though. I recommend MultiMC.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Updated original post with instructions to resolve this issue.

Honestly you should go to the minecraft forums, Here

They'd probably help you out more than macrumors.

:apple:

I asked for help there and not a single person responded to the thread.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.