Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LK265

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Berkshire, England
Hi all,

When I updated to iOS 9.2.1 the other day, iOS told be upon unlocking that my pincode has expired.. So I changed it, no problem.

I have never seen iOS prompt for a new pincode because the old one had 'expired' before..

Is this new?

Screenshot below..

Thanks

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 4,650

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Hi all,

When I updated to iOS 9.2.1 the other day, iOS told be upon unlocking that my pincode has expired.. So I changed it, no problem.

I have never seen iOS prompt for a new pincode because the old one had 'expired' before..

Is this new?

Screenshot below..

Thanks

Is your phone under corporate security at your job? If so, they could have implemented that.

Reactions: vsuri

FloridaGary

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
Hi all,

Is this new?

Screenshot below..

Thanks

Did you sign up to be a developer or any Apple certification sites?

LK265

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Berkshire, England
Is your phone under corporate security at your job? If so, they could have implemented that.
No it's not, just your normal iPhone
[doublepost=1453528239][/doublepost]
When is "other day". I've used the same passcode since iOS 6 and have yet to be prompted to change it.
Literally after the phone rebooted from updating to iOS 9, I wonder if it's because I have a 6 digit pin set?

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
Do you have your device configured to pull your Exchange calendar at work to coordinate with your iPad calendar, for example? Any 'simple' connection could force a security regimen on your device. If you're sure there's no such connection, call Apple for advice/clarification.

I couldn't find any other recent occurrences of a 'passcode expired' pop-up through searching.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012
The only way I know of that a iPhone lock password expire is if you are connected to an Excahnge email account which has security rules requiring the password to be changed every so often. iOS doesnt do this itself. I've never been prompted to change mine inn years of iOS (back to the 3GS) and use multiple Gmail account.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Is the visual voicemail working? Noticed in provided screen grab that the badge on the Phone app is blank. Only time I see that is when SIM card is pulled or cannot access vm. Maybe vm passcode expired and or some new security measure being implemented by cell provider that ties into some new lower level function in iOS 9?

As for 6 digits, maybe. 6 digit passcode was a bit of a hack in previous iOS versions. Just a text string made up of digits vs now truly having digits-only length of six PIN/passcode available. Maybe turn the 6 digit PIN function on and enter your PIn there?

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
The only way I know of that a iPhone lock password expire is if you are connected to an Excahnge email account which has security rules requiring the password to be changed every so often. iOS doesnt do this itself. I've never been prompted to change mine inn years of iOS (back to the 3GS) and use multiple Gmail account.
Nope. I don't have my phone connect to an Exchange Mail (in fact I didn't even use the stock Mail app but instead the Gmail app), I still get the "passcode expired" warning. Anyway I simply input the passcode that I was using along and the warning was gone.

ielessar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
WJ
Are you using any sort of MDM software? Check under Settings > General > Profile to see if you have any MDM profiles installed. These can send messages like the one you got.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Are you using any sort of MDM software? Check under Settings > General > Profile to see if you have any MDM profiles installed. These can send messages like the one you got.
No. Only the iOS public beta profile is installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.