Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you prefer?

• Option 1

• Option 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechNismo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
6ix
Option 1: Would you rather the iPhone SE 2 just have updated internals, with improved speed and preformance, with the cost being the same as the original iPhone SE.
OR
Option 2: Have the glass back design/wireless charging feature with increased price by like ($75-$100) and only the same colours as the iPhone 8/8Plus (gold,sliver,space grey)?

Beau10

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2008
US based digital nomad
How about a mildly upgraded SE.

I'm fine with that as well - it's what I ultimately expect. Just saying more is preferable. But I actually have to pull back a bit... I think I may prefer Touch ID to Face ID, at least for now.

At the end of the day I want to have something of this form factor available in the Apple ecosystem as long as possible. So if a new SE is the last thing we ever get I'm hoping it goes at least a good 4+ years before it's no longer supported by Apple.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I would think they’ll do iPhone 7 chipset, cameras and 2nd gen touchid. Possibly the ipod touch screen and chassis to update the look. These are all parts available and could keep the price low. Let’s face it, the A10 would make the SE a very powerful phone for the money. Since Apple will continue to sell the 7, I’m pretty sure they don’t want to change the lineup too drastically. People will jump all over an SE with the features I listed above, plus it will still be very affordable

Reactions: OddyOh

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Option 1: Would you rather the iPhone SE 2 just have updated internals, with improved speed and preformance, with the cost being the same as the original iPhone SE.
OR
Option 2: Have the glass back design/wireless charging feature with increased price by like ($75-$100) and only the same colours as the iPhone 8/8Plus (gold,sliver,space grey)?

The iPhone SE is a entry level (as in cheap) device. I doubt they'll include such feature in it for now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm fine with that as well - it's what I ultimately expect. Just saying more is preferable. But I actually have to pull back a bit... I think I may prefer Touch ID to Face ID, at least for now.

At the end of the day I want to have something of this form factor available in the Apple ecosystem as long as possible. So if a new SE is the last thing we ever get I'm hoping it goes at least a good 4+ years before it's no longer supported by Apple.

I would say this rumored iPhone SE 2 is probably one of the biggest questionable rumors if this will happen or not this year. We are ready know the iPhone X will be offered in a larger model in all likeliness. But for those who want an updated iPhone SE, it either happens in March during a spring Keynote, perhaps during WWDC in June 2018 or Fall 2018. I'm willing to think it will be updated in March if they have a spring Keynote or it will happen as silent update along side the other iPhones in fall 2018.

But if Apple announces the iPhone SE 2 in Fall 2018, I don't see them spending a lot of time on it to take away from the other products they plan on announcing as well. Which leads me to believe that it will be a minor refresh, but that's all the iPhone SE really needs.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
No glass backs. Other than that, keep it very close to the current size AND form. The thinner rounded edge iphones are harder to hold and the battery has to be smaller as a result. Last but not least, keep in mind that SE users aren't as likely to watch videos or do much other than make phone calls and maybe post a few pics to whatever social media site they use.
Size is still the king with a new SE 2.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No glass backs. Other than that, keep it very close to the current size AND form. The narrower rounded corner iphones are harder to hold and the battery has to be smaller. Take the jack out. Last but not least, keep in mind that SE users aren't as likely to watch videos or do much other than make phone calls and maybe post a few pics to whatever social media site they use.
Size is still the king with a new SE 2.

Your last sentence in your post is completely true. The reason the majority the iPhone SE owners are content with that iPhone specifically, is the form factor. They already know purchasing iPhone SE will not have some of the latest features like 3D Touch, the latest Camera, stereo speakers, etc. But they don't care about that, they want comfortability. And I believe if Apple does offer an SE 2, it will retain a similar form factor.

Reactions: Martyimac

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Your last sentence in your post is completely true. The reason the majority the iPhone SE owners are content with that iPhone specifically, is the form factor. They already know purchasing iPhone SE will not have some of the latest features like 3D Touch, the latest Camera, stereo speakers, etc. But they don't care about that, they want comfortability. And I believe if Apple does offer an SE 2, it will retain a similar form factor.
I didn't write my thoughts out well when I posted that. I was lucky I stuck in that last sentence.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I think they need to keep any SE 2 at the same price as the original or it then runs the risk of it losing the entire point to it being an entry/budget iPhone.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I didn't vote for either choice. The SE could use a better a screen in my opinion and that wasn't included in your poll.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I didn't vote for either choice. The SE could use a better a screen in my opinion and that wasn't included in your poll.

Agreed. That was the one drawback when I did own the iPhone SE for six months, was the poor display. I didn't mind the 4 inch display size, but the resolution was rather poor and that affected my experience with it.

Reactions: Ladybug

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
They will only maintain Option 1. I also happen to believe they will increase the price of the SE 2 (slightly higher price, same features), if they do update it at all.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I don't think they'll want to produce another clicky home button device - the 7 and 8 have capacitive buttons but from now on I think we'll see face ID in everything.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't think they'll want to produce another clicky home button device - the 7 and 8 have capacitive buttons but from now on I think we'll see face ID in everything.

Not Necessarily. If Apple wants to retain the low cost entry-level iPhone, it very well could retain the home button or implement the haptic home button from the 7/8. The Face ID components are likely more costly and the iPhone SE's purpose was to serve for a demographic That does not incorporate all the latest features into a smaller form factor. The iPhone SE 2 if it does release, will likely include a physical home button in a similar casing/form factor.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Not Necessarily. If Apple wants to retain the low cost entry-level iPhone, it very well could retain the home button or implement the haptic home button from the 7/8. The Face ID components are likely more costly and the iPhone SE's purpose was to serve for a demographic That does not incorporate all the latest features into a smaller form factor. The iPhone SE 2 if it does release, will likely include a physical home button in a similar casing/form factor.

I don't think there is much difference between a click or capacitive based touch at this point. I think, to make space, they might go for the capacitive.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
I think Apple would more SE if it were up to date technologies! It would expand the market to include school children, high schoolers. Currently, this phone is avoided by theses group because it indicates one is poor!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.