Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koshkaboo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
I want to make sure I understand the mechanics and correct order of what I want to do.

I bought a phone using the Apple Upgrade plan last fall. Of course, I had to buy the AppleCare plan. My understanding is that Citizens One pays Apple the full price of the plan at that time so it is considered fully paid.

I am not going to upgrade my phone this year so I want to just pay off the Apple upgrade plan and get the refund back for the unused part of AppleCare (I've had no claims). I am not sure of the current practices on how to do this. I think a couple of years ago, the process was:

1. Pay off Citizens one (this will include the monthly amount for AppleCare)
2. Call Apple and cancel AppleCare
3. Apple refunds Citizens one for the unused AppleCare
4. Citizens One refunds me.

Is that still the process? Or has it gotten more sane where I can just do this at one time when I pay off Citizens one and I only have to pay the amount for the phone less future AppleCare payments? Or do I not understand the process at all?

To be clear: I am on the upgrade program, I am keeping my phone. I want to pay off the loan and cancel AppleCare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.