Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lomographic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Firstly, I suppose I should get the formalities out the way - been lurking on the PowerPC forums for quite a while now, have been meaning to sign up and join in here but only now getting around to it!

I’ve recently got a PowerBook G4 15” 1.67GHz DLSD - the machine is great, and in pretty good condition too! Now, in my rush to bid on the item, it didn’t click with me that the PowerBook was coming from Germany, and therefore would have a German keyboard layout. This isnt too big an issue, as I’ve remappped the keyboard to be a standard British one in software.

However, I was wondering if I could swap the keyboard with one of my other PowerBooks, as I happen to have a PB G4 1.5GHz that is (I assume) the last model released before the hi-res dual layer SuperDrive version - I know that earlier PowerBooks had keyboards that were connected over ADB internally, but I can’t see that being an issue here as in system profiler, the keyboards on both models are both connected over USB.

My only question, aside from is it possible, would be, are there differences in the connections? Or would it be a simple swap in/out job.

Reactions: AphoticD

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
If the 1.5GHz really is budget BTO 5.6 and not a 5.4 you should get away with it.

5.4 and earlier used ADB (5.6/5.8 USB) for keyboard and touchpad.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
You can swap them out without issues. Click on my sig for more information :)

We had this question recently. The DLHD models are unique with regard to top layer and keyboard. Neither is interchangeable with previous PowerBooks.

From the service source:
  • Top Case
    – As the sleep magnet has been relocated to the display bezel, the sleep sensor has

moved from the trackpad flex to the edge of the top case. Previous top cases will not

work with this system.

• Keyboard

– The keyboard has a narrower flex than the previous integrated backlight keyboard used in the PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz). These two keyboards are not interchangeable. This keyboard is the same as on the PowerBook G4 (17-inch Double-Layer SD).

I had to replace the keyboard on a 15" DLHD due to non functioning keys. The part number for the DLHD keyboard is different from prior PowerBooks. Be sure to get the right one on eBay.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We had this question recently. The DLHD models are unique with regard to top layer and keyboard. Neither is interchangeable with previous PowerBooks.

From the service source:

I had to replace the keyboard on a 15" DLHD due to non functioning keys. The part number for the DLHD keyboard is different from prior PowerBooks. Be sure to get the right one on eBay.
I was thinking that…

I tore down a 17" DLSD once and the connector for the LCVD cable to the logicboard was very different than the one for my A1013. I figured that if this connector was different then probably most of the other parts were too. It's also the case with the DC-Inverter board as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.