Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samurai Shampoo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Hi, how are you guys?

I have a 2017 27“ iMac ( vacuum cleaner fan noise edition ). I noticed yesterday that in my Finder under -Shared- my Windows Laptop showed up.

Didn’t share anything or connect the two devices which is why I was wondering why it is suddenly showing up there.

I did use the laptop next to the iMac two days ago but like I said I did not let the two interact in any way.

How can this happen?
Does the iMac detect any device connected to my internet?
If yes, then why only the laptop and not my iPad for example?

Thanks in advance!

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
Same thing applies to me as well. I have a Windows PC connected to my home Wi-Fi network, and it shows up in the shared window on my MacBook Pro. Nothing to worry about, I think it will display all devices that are connected to the home network, regardless of whether it's an Apple product or not.

I believe the reason for the iPad not showing up is because it doesn't run a full desktop OS, and because it would allow people to view all of the system files on the iPad OS. As such, Apple wouldn't want users to view and extract system files off an iOS device.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samurai Shampoo

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Yes it will detect pretty much anything connected to your home network TVs computers other macs etc.

IOS devices will show up the same way in I tunes once you link them.

Reactions: Samurai Shampoo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.