Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikentosh2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Would a PC3 8500 ram card work in my mid 2007 17" 2.4ghz macbook pro core2duo?

I realize apple specs call for pc2 5300 on the apple site but I'm hoping the pc3 8500 might operate anyways...maybe just not 'officially' to apples specs at the time. I've read that you can get a couple extra gigs of ram to work in various macs....over what apple officially states.
I think my model mbp officially can handle 4gigs of ram, but you can get 6gigs to work with a 4g and a 2g card.

Thanks for any info you might have for me!

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
No, the old MacBook Pro took DDR2 you can't put DDR3 into it. Won't even physically fit.

DDR2DDR3SODIMM.jpg

Reactions: TonyK

mikentosh2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Bummer. I'm a 'glass is half empty' type person for the most part, so I was guessing it would be one thing or another messing up my half-priced ram upgrade hopes! :)
But it didn't dawn on me that it wouldn't physically fit. I just assumed it would be something with the chips, speed, voltage or some detail too far out in the weeds for me to know learn or figure out. That was a good idea to get a pic of each and have a look at 'em. I just read a bunch of specs I know Nothing about.

I've seen 4gig ram cards specifically listed to work in my '07 macbook pro3,1 for $108. Too much to spend on this old thing. I've seen other 4gig cards going for $30 or $40...reasonable prices in my book. That's the way it goes!

Thanks for the answer and effort to get the pics to compare.

thanks
-Mike

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Even if the card had fit there would be concerns about voltages between DDR2 and DDR3. That is why the chips are different and can't be used interchangeably.

But at Christmas I upgraded a late 2007 MBP (17") and the memory is not overly expensive to get it to 6GB of memory. What does that mean for you? That I have a matched pair of 2GB chips laying about. How much memory do you currently have? The 2007 MBP can only use 6GB.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Bummer. I'm a 'glass is half empty' type person for the most part, so I was guessing it would be one thing or another messing up my half-priced ram upgrade hopes! :)
But it didn't dawn on me that it wouldn't physically fit. I just assumed it would be something with the chips, speed, voltage or some detail too far out in the weeds for me to know learn or figure out. That was a good idea to get a pic of each and have a look at 'em. I just read a bunch of specs I know Nothing about.

I've seen 4gig ram cards specifically listed to work in my '07 macbook pro3,1 for $108. Too much to spend on this old thing. I've seen other 4gig cards going for $30 or $40...reasonable prices in my book. That's the way it goes!

Thanks for the answer and effort to get the pics to compare.

thanks
-Mike
The '07 will take up to 6GB only, with 1x2GB and 1X4GB, just FYI.

The upgrade should cost right around $40. I don't know where you've been shopping but your $108 is outrageous.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609 600006176&IsNodeId=1&page=1&bop=And&SrchInDesc=PC2 5300&PageSize=30

Remember, RAM is RAM, there is no such thing as "For Mac" RAM. It's all marketing to get you to cough up more money if you don't know any better.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
The $124 is from OWC which is where I purchased my 6GB of memory in December. I could have gone with their $108 for just a 4GB stick but decided to get a pair for peace of mind and warranty concerns.

Not sure about the $40 claim as selecting 4GB (1x and not 2x2GB) shows a price of about $90.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Skimlinks

Now the $40 is right for 2x2GB but that won't get the system to 6GB. Selecting a 2GB and a 4GB from NewEgg looks to be about

Using Crucial as my test bed the 2GB stick is $24.99 and the 4GB stick is $114.99 or $139.98. MacSales (aka OWC) has the same combo for $124.

Now maybe G-Skill is the same quality as Crucial so the 2GB is $20.99 and the 4GB is $89.99 for a total of $110.98. Not that far off from OWC's prices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...tm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-Skimlinks

mikentosh2003

macrumors newbie
Original poster
But at Christmas I upgraded a late 2007 MBP (17") and the memory is not overly expensive to get it to 6GB of memory. What does that mean for you? That I have a matched pair of 2GB chips laying about. How much memory do you currently have? The 2007 MBP can only use 6GB.[/QUOTE said:
I wandered across our posts from back in January and I must not have read yours as carefully as I would've liked. This read (I think) I got an offer or a hint at an offer, to sell me the spare ram you have sitting around after your upgrade. I did't pick that up last time. It wasn't the right size to max me out. But I wanted to be sure to say "Thanks!" very cool of you. It went right over my head at the time.
I think I remember wearing 'beer-goggles'' that day. Can't remember if they were 'prescription' Beer-goggles or not! :)

take it easy- Mike

ps That would be even funnier if that wasn't what you wrote at all! But not so funny as to let me know. With that, I run off so quickly, I leave a dust cloud in my wake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.