Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdfguy86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
Hello everyone. It's been a (very long) while since I've logged onto MacRumors, but I have a question regarding a PCI USB card.

I have a PCI USB 2.0 card that is made by NEC and has an NEC chipset in it, and I was wondering will it or should it work in a Power Mac G4 MDD model? Everywhere I have looked tells me it will work, but I installed the card and it was giving USB devices power, but that was it. The Mac didn't seem to recognize the card at all. Does it depend on the Mac OS X version I am running? The PowerMac runs OS X 10.3.0.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
I think it will work. I had a card with NEC chipset and it work on a sawtooth both under tiger and leopard.
It had some quirks, but some ports worked (not sure if it was hardware deffect or software)

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
If it has a NEC chipset, it generally should work. I have only tested my NEC cards on 10.4 and 10.5, and I'd recommend upgrading your MDD to atleast 10.4 anyways, as it has better software support for apps like TenFourFox, whereas 10.3 is way more abandoned. So go ahead and try upgrading, and see if the card works then. If not, you atleast have a better OS on your MDD.

asdfguy86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2014
If it has a NEC chipset, it generally should work. I have only tested my NEC cards on 10.4 and 10.5, and I'd recommend upgrading your MDD to atleast 10.4 anyways, as it has better software support for apps like TenFourFox, whereas 10.3 is way more abandoned. So go ahead and try upgrading, and see if the card works then. If not, you atleast have a better OS on your MDD.
Gotcha. I will try upgrading to 10.4 now and then I will try installing the card again.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Yes, I kind of remember that "for OS X", it needs Tiger and above to work. But it's interesting that, generally, an NEC chip card will work in OS 9 as well, at USB 1 speed though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.