Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MP39

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2016
I am familiar at a baseline level with the benefits of using mSATA SSD in a Mac Pro in PCIe to speed system, especially when setup as a RAID 0. I currently have 2 x Anandtech PCIe 4-lane 4-Port mSATA SSD RAID Cards installed. So I have a total of 8 mSATA SSDs across two different PCIe lanes.

I am not as technical on the “why” or limitations as to why a single PCIe 8-lane or higher card cannot be built to support 8 x mSATA SSDs on one RAID card so that it frees up another PCIe slot? I do realize there are some super “high end” cards out there that can accomplish this (i.e., KingSpec), but is there any reason this can’t be reasonably supported? The Anandtech card was reasonably priced. Any additional feedback regarding this?

To be clear, I am looking for a card that can support the mSATA SSDs to directly connect to the PCIe card so that all 8 mSATA SSDs would mount on the PCIe card directly; as I am also aware that there already are RAID Cards that would meet this criteria through SATA/SAS connections and cables, but that is not the solution I am looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.