Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rainycats

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2017
At times, I have wanted to create a PDF file, with the fillable editable blanks and cant find one that isn't Adobe and doesn't cost 100 +. I have lots of PDF editor type programs, lets me fill in the blanks or the PDF Expert which lets you edit the text, but one that lets you create a new PDF with fillable lines and spaces, I haven't found yet. I was searching for this one day and then I saw on a website that said Adobe has that all sowed up to themselves. Really? No one else has figured out how to do it? Or No one else is allowed to? It makes no sense, so I thought I would see if anyone here knows an answer.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
At times, I have wanted to create a PDF file, with the fillable editable blanks and cant find one that isn't Adobe and doesn't cost 100 +. I have lots of PDF editor type programs, lets me fill in the blanks or the PDF Expert which lets you edit the text, but one that lets you create a new PDF with fillable lines and spaces, I haven't found yet. I was searching for this one day and then I saw on a website that said Adobe has that all sowed up to themselves. Really? No one else has figured out how to do it? Or No one else is allowed to? It makes no sense, so I thought I would see if anyone here knows an answer.
No one really does that.
If you need forms with fillable text fields / areas that will be shared via email or other electronic means, it is better to just create a simple online form using any of the various web technologies. That way the data is more easily decimated. Sending a text link vs a several MB PDF file. The data is also more collectable, data loads into database or at worst the originator gets emailed the results. This could also provide the form filler with a receipt of processing and completion with very little extra effort.

Passing around PDFs for data entry is just barely a step above snail mailing paper forms.

Reactions: AleRod

SaltySierra

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2017
You might check out PDF Expert. It's not free, but it's only a fraction of the cost of Adobe. Love it. It is extremely capable and has more editing ability than anything else I've tried. They've got it in a special deal on some of the Mac app bundle sites. Fantastic display and really makes PDF's much more friendly and manageable.

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I haven't had to use it for years so I don't know if they still do it, but Openoffice had a feature which you could have a document and export it as PDF.

Reactions: NoBoMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.