Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Redsailfish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Started out just two grey spots on the pencil but has become worse over time. Both 1 month old and now the iPad two light scuffs that match up with the two on the pencil(Clearly seen in the picture).

Anyone else have this problem? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• E6ECD860-891E-42B5-B6F9-6D8FA8A5423B.jpeg
    E6ECD860-891E-42B5-B6F9-6D8FA8A5423B.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 331

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2018
The pen should only be plugged in briefly to charge, otherwise it discharges constantly the battery, about 10% overnight.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Started out just two grey spots on the pencil but has become worse over time. Both 1 month old and now the iPad two light scuffs that match up with the two on the pencil(Clearly seen in the picture).

Anyone else have this problem? Should I be worried?

What on earth? Very interested to hear people’s thoughts here...

GerAlex73

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2018
These scratches would have stood out in the tests for the new iPad Pro, and Apple would have had to change the design to eliminate this problem. I recommend the Pencil to undock when the iPad is transported.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The pen should only be plugged in briefly to charge, otherwise it discharges constantly the battery, about 10% overnight.

This pencil doesn’t ‘plug in’, it charges wirelessly and i’ve never seen mine discharge overnight. It stays connected to my iPad when not in use

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
These scratches would have stood out in the tests for the new iPad Pro, and Apple would have had to change the design to eliminate this problem. I recommend the Pencil to undock when the iPad is transported.

Well, the issue is there and it’s either a pen that’s moving way more than it should or a generally speaking weak material that scratches easily and nobody cares on the manufacturer side.

Will be interesting to hear Apple’s response.

JP913

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Orlando
What it looks like to me is the space gray coating on your iPad is defective, and staining your Pencil at the magnet points.

It’s pretty weird. I would contact Apple or take it in to the store to show them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.