Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilipH

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Apple Land
DetroidBorg's Pencil review mentions that using the pencil will (might?) scratch your ipad pro screen. Nobody else mentions this in their reviews though which is a bit odd. He's a good reviewer though, so i don't want to dismiss him.

Anyone can confirm this to be a fact or not? Does the pencil make (tiny) scratches on the ipad pro screen??

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
If you get grit or damage the tip (due to dropping it, etc.) then yes you risk damaging the screen with fine scratches. If you press hard on the screen and/or do lots of broad strokes with the pencil, then yes it's possible.

All that said ... :)

I have had the iPad Pro since launch day and had the pencil the second week it was avail and I use both 5 days a week several hours a day. I use the iPad Pro mainly for web browsing and music production and use the pencil more as a "mouse" pointer device over artists drawing, etc, and to date of this writing I've no scratches on the screen at all.

I am happy to post screenshots if needed if you don't trust my word, but still, if you are not careful , you can scratch the screen.

I am on my second pencil tip that was in the box and I have 4 stashed away, so I am covered.

It helps to keep the pencil capped and in a protective bag/sleeve, etc she not in use (don't just stick it in your pocket) so you keep debris off the tip and keep it from damage.

Reactions: Atreyu25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.