Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Do you think Pencil support will ever come to Macbooks?

My job uses heavy duty OS X drawing applications that won't be coming to iOS any time soon, if ever. For years I've been wanting a powerful standalone OS X drawing machine to handle these applications, as I move around a lot and often have to work on the go. But alas, I've been disappointed year after year.

Here are the current options I know of, most of which I've already tried or am trying:
1. portable cintiq + MBP (Not standalone; did this for years amd it's a pain at best and impossible in some circumstances)
2. iPad Pro + MBP via Astropad (Not standalone; also no dual display which is a kick in the nuts)
3. Cintiq Companion (I have this now, but it's underpowered for some of my applications, has horrible battery-life, and I've run into too many Windows-related problems)
4. Surface Book (It's Windows, on top of which I heard it has a lot of issues, and it's underpowered--although it does have a dGPU; also I tried the SP3 for awhile, and if the drawing experience on the SB is similar, it's nowhere as good as any of the other options)
5. SP4 (It's Windows, underpowered, and if it's like SP3 the drawing is sub-par)
6. Modbook Pro (It's underpowered, and it's from an obscure company which means ongoing support is uncertain)

All of these have deal/heart-breaking compromises. I believe the only ideal solution for me would be a MBP that supports Pencil. But I realize that raises other issues. What would the form factor be (clamshell/tablet/convertible)? And would the OS have to change? I don't really want touch input, but if there's pencil input, there might have to be touch input as well.

Thoughts? Will this ever happen? Or is this far off course from Apple's current trajectory? Any other options I don't know of?

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Probably not on MacBooks.

iPads will only get more powerful and there will be more choice available.

Steve Jobs explains,

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Probably not on MacBooks.

iPads will only get more powerful and there will be more choice available.

Steve Jobs explains,

Yeah this will most likely be the case. But even if Apple makes a powerful enough iPad, which could take awhile, I don't know how long it will be before the developers for these particular applications I use will jump on board. Could be looking at a decade realistically, which is just depressing.

In the meantime, there is one possible alternative on the horizon: the Modbook Pro X. If it's ever released, the only major downside will be that it's from an obscure company.

ljjycss

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Highly doubt there would be such a product. Considering how expensive cintiq and intuos are, a mbp with similar level of performance would break the price tag. I don't think Apple would divide existing mbp lineup into a less expensive mbp without drawing capability and an extremely expensive mbp with pencil support and convertible design. Thinner lighter mbp + thinner lighter cintiq could help, but that's still two devices.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
Highly doubt there would be such a product. Considering how expensive cintiq and intuos are, a mbp with similar level of performance would break the price tag. I don't think Apple would divide existing mbp lineup into a less expensive mbp without drawing capability and an extremely expensive mbp with pencil support and convertible design. Thinner lighter mbp + thinner lighter cintiq could help, but that's still two devices.

image.jpeg

Queen6

macrumors G4
Am with the subjonas in wanting touch, at least "Pencil" input on a Mac, equally chances are near to zero, as Apple want`s you to buy both IOS & OS X devices, hence the diverged computing lines.

Personally I have given up, now using an Android tabled which is infinitely more useful for my needs/workflow, and will very likely pick up one of the better Windows 10 Convertibles. I also have little doubt if Apple did produce a Convertible it would be far superior to anything else on the market. As other s have stated "not happening" as such a device would cut into sale of iPad`s & regular Mac`s...

Q-6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.